Obscene photo protocol

At the end of a long week of bs, I was presented with picture of a human penis to ID.

I could mark it as inappropriate and wait for a moderator to see it and decide, or mark it copyright infringement and take it down faster but leave no note for the moderator.

How do you want these handled? Do you think maybe inappropriate should have photo hidden until review?

Not a prude, but not expecting flashers here.

4 Likes

Definitely get it out of sight as soon as possible. Maybe I am a prude, but this just is not the place for human genitalia. You can also report it to help@inaturalist.com as I expect this is some kind of violation of the TOS.

10 Likes

Totally okay with genitalia, in theory - theyā€™re a part of nature. But agree that such photos are generally counterproductive on this site. Our primary mission is to encourage folks to interact with nature, no matter their backgrounds, ages, etc. So being able to eliminate this sort of photo quickly seems helpful.

I suspect that thereā€™s some legit interest, potentially, in cv being able to distinguish species by genitalia. (In primatology, thereā€™s a ā€˜lock-and-keyā€™ hypothesis of speciation floating around, or at least there was 20 years ago when I was in school.) But even in this case, weā€™d want something like the ā€˜aliveā€™/ā€˜deadā€™ demarcation to protect folksā€™ sensibilities.

And as @peakaytea notes, this instance wasnā€™t intended as informative. We want to make iNat a safe place.

[Iā€™ve edited to better match my intent ā€“ I didnā€™t mean to seem dismissive.]

7 Likes

we have kids on here!

8 Likes

Yeah, donā€™t allow them get satisfaction they seek, flag it the way thatā€™ll hide the photo from regular users.

6 Likes

Not a ā€œhuman nude.ā€ Not a piece of scientific documentation.

Iā€™m a frustrated that you seem to have missed the point as evidenced by your discussing irrelevant cases and scientific theories.

4 Likes

Sorryā€¦message or email whom? Thanks.

By your description this appears to be a case of an attention-seeking loser seeking to cause upset and give offense. Flag the observation and notify staff. Irate, shrill, angry or other sorts of commentary that feeds the observerā€™s need for attention just gives him what heā€™s looking for.

@peakaytea Maybe do an edit on the topic in an effort to raise the tone of the conversation, being as how there are kids on this forum?

1 Like

Sexually explicit content (meaning, of humans) is one of the four kinds of content that are listed as Any of these behaviors are grounds for immediate suspension without warning in the iNaturalist Community Guidelines. Any Curator who becomes aware of such content should be taking that action immediately.

For non-curators, the quickest way to hide a photograph is to flag it as a Copyright Violation. Not the best use for that kind of flag, but probably justified in this circumstance until a curator/staff member can be notified. Which you should then do asap.

8 Likes

there should probably be an explicit content flag that behaves the same way to instantly hide it.

5 Likes

(I changed the topicā€™s title because it was appearing on the dashboard Forum widget)

Please flag the photo as copyright infringement and email help@inaturalist.org as soon as possible. Weā€™ll take a look and delete it if itā€™s obscene. I donā€™t think itā€™s worth engaging in any sort of comment or message to the user that posted the photo, itā€™s just giving them the attention they desire.

12 Likes

in clear cases of inappropriate photos, iā€™ve seen that the users who posted those photos get suspended, and the photos get hidden. those actions seem to be be fairly consistent. but then it seems less consistent when it comes to whether the photos actually get deleted from the system. is it just that the process there is looser ā€“ it seems like youā€™re indicating that an e-mail must be sent, too, beyond flagging a photo as inappropriate ā€“ so itā€™s harder to keep track of photos that need deleting, or is it considered acceptable that these photos just remain hidden indefinitely without actually being deleted? (most people arenā€™t going to look at the hidden photos, but technically theyā€™re still viewable.)

yes. it seems odd to me that an inappropriate flag wouldnā€™t trigger immediate hiding of photos if a a copyright infringement flag does.

2 Likes

Yes, we need to be notified about it so it can be manually deleted, if need be. There currently isnā€™t a flag that strictly covers something that should be deleted becuase itā€™s obscene or racist, although I do think we should add one, and probably make it automatically hide the image. Then we could easily search for those flags and decide whether or not to delete them.

The ā€œinappropriateā€ flag isnā€™t well defined and itā€™s been interepreted in multiple ways - for example, Iā€™ve seen it be used for photos of toys and such when those observations should just be IDed as human. I agree there needs to be some tweaking to this system.

5 Likes

Also canā€™t flag from the android app

on the ā€œpeopleā€ page* you can see recent activity. message one of those people who is a Curator ā€“ there will always be a few online at any time.
*https://www.inaturalist.org/people

alternatively, you can check the recent comments page*, which is at a slower rate but might be more likely to include ā€œpower usersā€ and thus curators.
*https://www.inaturalist.org/home?tab=comments

4 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s helpful

2 Likes

The people who post thing like that are not necessarily ā€˜Psychopathsā€™. As a former psych nurse, that is a clinical diagnosis that takes a long time to understand. Neither is it likely that the poster is abusing animals. The point about children is well taken.
Iā€™m not diminishing the offence, just suggesting that you have jumped to a lot of conclusions with little evidence. Most likely it is some kid wanting to shock people. And termination methods have been suggested.

8 Likes

I hear you.

If itā€™s a kidā€™s genital picture, there is a legal exposure.

If it isnā€™t a kid, there may be some other issue of concern.

I believe this person is a high school senior.

2 Likes

Kids donā€™t have the prurient thoughts grownups try to shield them from. The main reason they think such pictures are hilarious is because grownups freak out about them.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.