Organized Blacklighting in Miami

Hi,
Does anyone know of any organized blacklighting “communities” or clubs in the South Florida area?

1 Like

National (international) moth week is coming up in a couple of weeks. Check out the website to see if any trapping events are listed close to you.

4 Likes

OK, I’m confused. What are organized black-lighting communities or clubs? I sort of thought most moth lovers were introverts like me. Why would anyone go meet a bunch of random strangers at night?

1 Like

Because it’s fun? I’ve gone to my local Moth Ball for a number of years now and it’s always enjoyable, even though I almost always leave early and am home in bed asleep by midnight. You see good bugs (assuming the weather cooperates), you might meet like-minded people, there might be yummy food and drink - what’s not to like? And if you’re a true introvert, you can just melt into the darkness if anyone is chatty.

4 Likes

I had no idea such a thing was real.

Neither did I!!!
I’ve been trying to find people to blacklight with, precisely because I always do it alone bc none of my close friends or people I enjoy hanging out with appreciate nor enjoy blacklighting/macro photography, and in doing so I found there are organized clubs in different parts of the world.

1 Like

Blacklighting is a lot of fun and I would love to be able to expand my “network” and meet up with likeminded people and learn more about the bugs of the night and photography!

1 Like

If you ever come to my part of the world I would be more than happy to lend you my lights and power bank.

It can be fun to set up a few lights around an area and go from one to other with big groups. Beers in hands if allowed…

You can see some social mothing in Texas that I shot a few years ago here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.