Pale Corydalis Growing Conditions

How many of you have spotted Pale Corydalis (found in the forests of eastern North America) growing in mesic conditions? Personally I have only seen it growing out of rock crops. Apparently it does very well following a disturbance and then diminishes in numbers as the years pass which I think is true because I generally only find one or two plants. I wrote an article about it if you are interested to see my take on this plant. Otherwise I look forward to your responses!
https://njurbanforest.com/2020/09/30/plants-of-new-jersey-17-pale-corydalis/

1 Like

I have never seen this plant in the wild, although it is one of my favorites! I call it Rock Harlequin, however. Thanks for the article!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, Rock Harlequin is another name for Pale Corydalis.

I assume this is the same as Corydalis sempervirens? (That’s what my field guide calls it.) I’ve seen it growing wild around here, but only on rock outcrops. I like to keep the exact locations obscured since some folks I know who are rare plant collectors were a tad too excited about it and wanted to know exactly where to find it. I don’t know if this is truly a concern with this species but the locations were on National Park territory anyway where collecting even seeds without a permit is a no-no.

1 Like

Your post title caught my eye because I’ve seen Pale Corydalis (Corydalis flavula) in varying conditions and rather frequently. But I see in reading the article and replies that you mean Capnoides sempervirens. I don’t memorize the binomial names, but this is one of those reasons why we use them. So many things share common names. Now I want to see Capnoides sempervirens. The observation closest to me is in a rocky area in a river.

1 Like

In some states the plant is considered rare.

Common names can be confusing!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.