Passiflora suberosa vs Passiflora pallida

From here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/35679366 and here: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=250032032, it seems like only P. pallida should be in the US and North america while P. suberosa should be in South America. Also, it seems like some places don’t accept the split (like here), while iNat does (?). If so, then a lot of observations are [probably] IDed incorrectly. It also seems like both species are called corkystem passionflower, but on iNat P. pallida is called pale passionflower. Maybe that is causing confusion?

For plants, iNat uses Plants of the World Online as its authority. So any splits that are/aren’t accepted on iNat relate directly to whether POWO accepts them or not.

Thanks! That answers most of my questions and does confirm that there are a lot of misIDed observations.

Just to be clear, the site uses POWO for taxonomy, but does not use it for range information.

Oh, then where does range info come from?

from correct identifications ;)

2 Likes

The site has no official or “proper” way to designate range information, just multiple unrelated tools that can do in in different ways. It does not even have a standardized definition of what a range means or is. (which is likely my #1 rant issue regarding site functionality)

I know that

is the way to technically establish range, but I’m not sure how to do that in this case. According to Flora of North America, “The hypanthium of P. pallida generally is 3–4 mm in diameter, with inner coronal filaments usually less than 1.5 mm and outer filaments less than 4 mm, whereas in P. suberosa the hypanthium generally is 4–8.8 mm in diameter, with inner coronal filaments usually 1.5–3.9 mm and outer filaments (2.5–)3–8.1 mm.” So basically, the flowers of P. suberosa are slightly bigger. But the difference (and the flowers) are so small that I’m not sure if they could be separated in most pictures.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.