Places your going in the next 2 years

Surely with all those rivers, the Delta must have something to offer? Besides Cypress Preserve, surely the fish diversity of the Mississippi River System must encompass the Delta?

1 Like

I plan on going to Palo Duro next year. I’m hoping to get the birds of that area.

2 Likes

Cayo Largo, Cuba at the end of January for two weeks of scuba, mangroves and beach scrub habitat.

Hoping to get to the Canary Islands later this year to visit with an old friend and wander around.

I really want to find a way to take my wife to Botswana and Namibia before i’m too decrepit to go bushwhacking so she can see where I lived for a few years and get an idea why I loved it so much.

3 Likes

I’m off to the southern Kalahari desert in less than a months time - can’t wait!! :star_struck:

1 Like

Kruger is great if you want to see the Big 5, though there are definitely some ecological problems in the Associated Private Reserves on the western boundary. Alot of incorporated land there is split up between different private trusts and lodges and each one them has a different motive and objective when it comes to veld management, making for some ugly patchworks of veld that has gone too long without a burn and others completely stripped because of too many grazers being coerced into the area with water holes. The north of Kruger will probably suit you if you’re looking for a real wilderness experience, although even there there is quite alot of poaching still happening.

Addo National Park is superb from what I hear, never been there myself but my forebears on my grandfathers side hail from a nearby valley not far from the park. Would love to go visit that side of the family someday

I would advise against visiting any KZN provincial parks except the ones along that provinces north coast (and maybe Weenen in the Midlands), the rest are just in utter shambles at the moment through years of mismanagement, lack of proper funding and overall apathy. Even well known reserves like Hluhluwe-iMfolozi have been embroiled in a LOT of scandals. Not that long ago, the reserve manager for Hluhluwe was found to be living in Durban, the provinces capital, a whole 200 kilometers away from the reserve he was supposed to be overseeing in the midst of the worst poaching epidemic that park has ever experienced! As if we’re meant to believe that he travelled that enormous distance 2 times a day - a clear example of the malfeasance and corrupted patronage networks in Ezemvelo. Sadly, there are far darker stories about political interference in that entity. The whole thing needs to be disbanded or incorporated into SANParks in my opinion

Only now do I realize that you mention you’re a fellow South African, so you probably have heard most of this before :smile: Nevertheless, enjoy your travels this year and take lots of pics!

2 Likes

I’ve been extremely lucky to visit some truly amazing and biodiverse places in my short time here on iNat, but there are still many, many places I’d love to go see for myself as well, the main one being Central America. Other than that, I’ve always been fond of island-specific fauna, so if I ever get the chance, I’ll sure take it!

Finished reserving my first trip to Death Valley today. I’ll be there in a couple months and very excited to explore the park. Then back to saving money for some tropical destinations before I blow it all on skiing or home repairs.

2 Likes

Halifax :P
Don’t get me wrong I’m excited but as a bird guy, what is there to see in Halifax that there isn’t in Alberta? I won’t even be on the coast. Plus i’m not there for a birding trip (picture a school trip but for a week), but I usually find ways to see as much birds as I can. I would sell my soul to travel to California, Texas, Colorado, Florida, Michigan let alone other countries or continents. But i’m a minor so I don’t have much of a choice, or a say of where I go outside of Calgary. I’d love to go virtually anywhere in the world, except North Dakota. No dis to North Dakotans but I think they understand.

Take any travel as opportunity, you can find new species everywhere (esp not birds), you can fill the gaps on the map and your own map will get new points too.

yea i’m off to Arizona next month in March and i’m using that for Genus dexing

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.