Planning a short evolution course for naturalists

I think @pfau_tarleton has a great comment about evolution here, in another topic. Maybe worth including genetic drift too, where genes change randomly over time, without apparent selective pressure?

Regarding folks who may be offended by mainstream science, maybe it’s worth stating a preamble like, “I’ll be presenting an overview evolution as understood by mainstream science. For the sake of time, if you would like to discuss alternative theories, please discuss them with me after this course…” or something of that sort.

I think it’s worth considering that maybe folks who are passionate(?) about alternative facts are doing so as a community and identity function for inclusion with their family/friends/community, more than genuinely reaching those conclusions through logical inquiry.

Therefore, I think it may not be worth trying to debate the topic when you’re just trying to give everyone a thorough enough overview of evolution and debating it is unlikely to change the “skeptic’s” views. Someone who is genuinely open-minded would probably want to discuss it afterward, so I think that response leaves the door open.

Elliott’s post about the wasp-like moth reminded me of this video about cowbirds: True Facts: Parasitic Birds (warning: language).

3 Likes