Planting natives: is it useful to post the "first-gen" cultivated individuals?

Hi, I’m about to start a rewilding project. I understand that the individuals I plant will be cultivated, but my hope is that they’ll spread naturally. I’m wondering if it would be at all helpful to post the plants I personally put in, as if all goes well, they’ll be the first generation of a new population. Is that data likely to be useful?

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes, it is useful. Especially since you are the one planting, and you KNOW which is going to be the drumroll wild seedlings.

7 Likes

Sure, just mark them as cultivated. You can link to those observations when you post future recruits.

9 Likes

Thank you! I’m very excited to see them taking off in the next few years.

2 Likes

as a volunteer bush regenerator for the last 14 years i believe strongly in using local provenance. be careful using hybrid material from other areas as the new plants could be much stronger and take over an area in a way that is not expected.
source your new material from as close to your site as possible. there are some great native nurseries that provide provenance material.
make sure there is good weed control.
enjoy the work…

6 Likes

Yes. I think that’s a very useful application of iNat. Put information about the source of your material (and anything else that might be useful) in the Notes or Comments.

4 Likes

I started doing that in a minor way last fall. I am really hoping you get lots more generations!
It turns out, local wildlife seems to love to eat local native plants. Sigh… I mayImay as well be throwing out $10 bills for the rabbits, moles, and deer, etc., to eat!

3 Likes

They aren’t talking about indiginous people, they’re talking about native plants. It’s not illegal to plant native plants, I think you may be confused. The only time it would be illegal to plant them is if they’re severely endangered to the point that owning them at all is illegal, and there’s nothing stopping them from increasing populations, these are plants that are still capable of reproducing on their own.

Not confused, hence my advanced apology. It’s a joke. It’s possible to interpret ‘Planting natives’ as planting native people, especially when followed up by this sentence - “I understand that the individuals I plant will be cultivated, but my hope is that they’ll spread naturally.”
I know full well it’s about plants, but it just struck me as funny sentence construction. Word play.

5 Likes

Here - we plant indigenous. The word native in the sense of born here - doesn’t work with our history. But we do use that same meaning for the province of Kwazulu-Natal. (Named for the settlers arriving on Christmas Day)

1 Like

I’ve tried to be conscious of that. With the exception of an impulse-buy Monarda selection and a hybrid Echinacea for containers (I also have regular purpurea), I have wild-types only. They’re mostly grown from seeds that I got from a native nursery, and I’m only planting in-state species.

Thank you!

1 Like

Mammals are a problem :laughing:

And to continue your pun, the idea of “cultivating” individual Native people was the premise behind the Indian boarding schools in North America.

2 Likes

I truly did not expect this topic to come around to puns on systemic racism, but here we are. Let’s leave it at that.

3 Likes

This comment is really not appropriate at all. Genocide is not a matter to be joking about lightly.

That comment is probably more deadly serious, than a joke.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.