Pollen observations?

Hi everyone,

Recently, I’ve seen an increase of observations of microscopic organisms (mostly protozoa) seen through a microscope. I was wondering if the same could be done for pollen? I think there is a chance for expanding the world’s pollen catalog with these types of observations. Has something similar to this been done before? I’m curious.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum! To my knowledge, there aren’t a bunch pollen observations on iNat. It seems like a cool idea, though. If you’re interested, you could create a traditional project to gather some matching observations.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I know of one project that collects microscopic images of pollen grains: Palynological Pals

It’s pretty small, and there are currently only a few observations covering even fewer plant species. I hope this will change at some point!

11 Likes

Great idea to take pollen pics under the microscope! Palynological Pals looks like a good project to use.

4 Likes

It would be great to include the pollen photos in an observation along with a more traditional photo of the flower / plant too!

6 Likes

Yes, that’s what I try to do! Otherwise, the pollen grain photos might be unidentifiable (at least to species level).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.