Portugal - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re featuring on Portugal on the World Tour today.

Here’s the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Again, my usual questions about whether these administrative units are correct and widely used.

Here’s the same Level 1 and Level 2 maps zoomed in.

What can we do to make iNaturalist better in Portugal?

Let me start by just saying that iNat is by far my favourite thing that’s ever happened on the Internet. Period.

These two maps are accurate (though you cut the Azores out of the map…), but I’ve noticed some level 2 places have been incorrectly merged in the standard places currently used on iNat. For instance, Alcoutim encompasses both Tavira and Alcoutim itself, which are actually separate counties. Same with Braga and Guimarães. (There’s a bitter, century-old rivalry between Braga and Guimarães, so you could easily have started a small civil war by merging the two under Braga…) I don’t know if there are any other ‘counties’ with the same issue - I haven’t checked them all - but the rest seems fine.

2 Likes

Thanks Duarte!
I can get you a list of the level 2 units if that would help find any other errors

hmm - let me check on Azores

I’d be happy to help!

1 Like

I’ve just checked: there are 308 counties in Portugal. If you have any less after fixing Braga and Alcoutim, there should be some missing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.