Posts liked as original poster when logged out of forums

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website (forums)

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): n/a

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/a-plea-to-1-1-your-photos/35329/17

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Be logged out of the forums

Step 2: Try to like a post

Step 3: Did a like from the original poster appear?

Step 4: Like and unlike the comment and watch the like that appears to be from someone else appear and go away accordingly, it is not someone else liking comments at the same time.

Description of bug: When viewing a recent thread, I forgot I was logged out of the forums until I was trying to like/heart some responses and realized my likes were appearing as if they were from the creator of the thread, vreinkymov. For example the comment https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/a-plea-to-1-1-your-photos/35329/17 appears to have two hearts, both of which I added, one from when I was logged out and on from when I was logged in, appearing to be from two different users one of which is an account I do & should not have any access to.

Is this some error on my end with caching, or am I actually liking posts as other people? This isn’t intended, right?

i think what you’re describing is just a visual display issue. the likes are all captured appropriately, and you’ll see the proper visual display of them the next time you log in or open the post in a new browser tab.

(the next time i come across this, i’ll try to post a screenshot for clarification, if i remember.)

if you think of this as a bug worth fixing, i think this needs to brought to the Discourse folks, since they actually develop the platform that iNat uses.

If it is only a visual display issue on the user’s end then I don’t think it is such a big deal, as if it were actually capturing them incorrectly. Thank you for the clarification!