Problems with the Cx. pipiens complex

Hi,

I’m rather new to iNaturalist, so I am not sure if I have not figured it out yet, or if there is an actual problem (and I should have posted this in the bug section). Working with mosquitoes, I noticed that there is no possibility to id a specimen as a member of the Culex pipiens complex (e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23401944). How can I id a mosquito as a member of this complex? Or, if this complex is missing, how (by whom) can it be generated?

Further, I noticed that there are two entries for Culex pipiens (one with a common name). Why is that?

Cx pipiens

2 Likes

There’s no complex for them on iNat, and those can’t be automatically added, so you won’t be able to add such id, for that stuff you create a flag on the parent taxon and ask curators to add one. For last question it is misspelling, different people added different names for one taxon, again, create a flag on one of them about need of merging 2 species.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.