Question about "post hidden by community"

Yesterday I received a message from “System” which, in part, stated with respect to one of my posts:

"This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.
[/quote]

I did not revise it, but it did not reappear, so I don’t see how it could have been “hidden by the community a second time.” I would delete it, except that I can’t figure out how to access it. This seems like a new procedure to me, and an unfair one, since it implies that I said something offensive without stating what I said, and I do not want people to think I said something horrible. It has been over 24 hours, I believe. Will this ever go away?

4 Likes

This means that 3 people flagged your post, causing it to automatically become hidden. I don’t think it will go away on its own, but I can’t tell you how to access the post since this has never happened to me.

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I had never seen this before yesterday either. I think I will just stop using the forum so I won’t risk wanting to comment on anything.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far, but if you feel that’s what is necessary, I support you. My recommendation is to just stay out of the topic you posted in - if it’s the one I think it is, tensions are running very high and some users have been unnecessarily flagging posts that disagree with them.

5 Likes

I think the post remains hidden because you didn’t edit it (it would reappear if you did). I believe there should be a link in the message to the post in question.

3 Likes

Really three? The way moderators have been responding to hiding comments makes it seem that they can hide comments without the flags.

3 Likes

Moderators can. However, I’m guessing based on the wording of the message (“This post was hidden due to flags from the community”) that this is a case of the automatic system kicking in.

5 Likes

Thanks, Carrie. I was able to find a link to edit the post, but not a link to delete it. Apparently, I have to wait for “slow mode” to end first before trying to edit, but even then I don’t know if that will really change anything about how it appears.

2 Likes

Hmm, if that is the case, the message “This post was hidden due to flags from the community" seems a bit misleading when used in that context.

1 Like

@sgene can you try again? I just disabled a setting that prevented editing in slow mode. Thanks for your patience.

7 Likes

I will try. Thanks.

It worked. I deleted the content, and then the delete button appeared, so I was able to use that to delete the whole comment. Thanks again.

7 Likes