Random Nature Encounters and Stories

I consider this random and amazingly lucky (like I might have used up all remaining “nature luck” for the year today).

Short backstory: I monitor my pollinator/native plant/xeriscape garden for critters and my goal is to document as many species as possible. Last year was the first year I was exposed to many insects for the first time, including wedge-shaped beetles (Ripiphoridae).

So, I’m out in the garden this morning watching the longhorn and sweat bees, paper and sand wasps, etc. There wasn’t anything exciting for a while and I’m about to head inside when I saw this:

(Quick comment: between my camera skills, slight wind, body color/position, and the morning sun angle, none of the pictures are ‘perfect’ - darn! I would have loved to capture a video of his funny front legs flailing as he tries to stroke her antennae.)

What do we have here? Thanks for asking! This is a pair of Ripiphorus neomexicanus. The species is known from 2 specimens in 1921, 1 other specimen pre-1929, 3 specimens in 1970, and 4 sets of photographs in my garden. This interaction today is:

• the 1st male Ripiphorid I’ve seen in person
  • the 1st time I’ve seen mating Ripiphorids in person (goes with 1st male)
  • the 7th time I’ve seen any Ripiphorids in person
  • and, I dare say, the 1st time this species has ever been observed mating

After the male was done with his duty and flew off, she spent a few minutes ovipositing:

12 Likes