Read any good nature books recently?

Can highly recommend ‘’’‘A Place Like No Other, Discovering the Secrets of the Serengeti’’ by R.E. Sinclair w Rene Beyers. Besides being the Megafauna Ecosystem to which all other Megafauna Ecosystems are compared, it turns out the Serengeti is a gigantic natural experiment in ecology. From Rinderpest brought in with Indian cattle imported by the Italians in 1887, killing 90 % of the wild and domestic ungulates, and the predators depending on them (including humans), to the vaccination of cattle controlling the Rinderpest letting both rebound; to the crashing of Elephant, Buffalo and Lions populations from poaching, then their subsequent rebound, our authors have learned 7 principles of how ecosystems work. Amazing stuff from both a historical to scientific standpoint. Very well written and easy to understand. (Ecology is hard !)

I haven’t quite finished it. Mostly because it’s a lot of heavy information and I can assimilate only some at a time. I was pretty sure the solving part would be weak, it’s too big a subject for the size of the book. But I still think it needs to be read.
I’m glad you chose it. I enjoyed her first book, she speaks beginning botany well. No need to feel guilty, I’m in a village/ rural area, my most local public library is in the school, so I often request books through the public library in the next town over. They’re pretty quick and found this in a library 90 miles away!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.