Favorite Nature Audiobooks?

I end up spending a ton of time listening to audiobooks (and podcasts), so I’m always on the lookout for good content. There’s already been a relatively recent podcast thread, so how about an audiobook thread?

Here are a few recent listens that I’d recommend:

The Nature of Oaks - Doug Tallamy. Easy listen, accessible, and fascinating review of the value of oaks.

In Defense of Plants - Matt Candeias. From the creator of the podcast of the same name. This is another accessible book. It explores many interesting natural history, ecological and evolutionary case studies of plants.

A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold. Yes, this classic is available as an audiobook!

The Seabird’s Cry - Adam Nicolson. Profiles the amazing life histories of several seabird species.

3 Likes

I highly recommend Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. I read the print book but I know the audiobook is supposed to be very good.

2 Likes

Peter Godfrey-Smith : Other Minds is excellent insight into the lives of Octopi. He is focused on their consciousness rather than an exhausting analysis of their whole life cycle, but it’s a very intriguing look into an amazing species most people have next to no understanding of.

1 Like

A few good ones I have listened to over the years:
The Ravenmaster: my Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London by Christopher Skaife
To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession by Dan Koeppel
The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s-Eye View of the World by Michael Pollan
The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman
Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal

3 Likes

I came here to say this! She narrates the audiobook herself, I listened to the majority of it while iNatting along the American River Parkway. It was a beautiful experience, 10/10 recommend.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve added it to my list!

I’m finally listening to this now. So far, so good!

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it! =)

These all made for good listens:

The Hidden Life of Ice
The Death and Life of the Great Lakes
Under a White Sky
The Feather Thief
Last Stranger in the Woods

The last two aren’t books about nature per say, but are heavily influenced by it, and offer interesting insights into humanity’s interaction with the natural world.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.