I’ve been adding and editing taxon photos, since I’m anxious and find it soothing.
Here’s a gentle reminder that while the default photo / icon should be bold and pretty, the rest of the taxon photos should include:
- As many life stages as possible (seed/flower/fruit or egg/larva/pupa/adult etc)
- A variety of examples, eg not just eight photos of slightly different top-down blue flower closeups for Commelinaceae
- more than one angle (front/back, habit/above/side)
- If there is room, a photo or two showing typical behaviour
- If there is room, a photo showing another item for scale (eg a hand, plant, or ruler)
It is especially important that the first two to four photos be representative of the taxon as a whole because many users will only look at the first few images when eg using the compare tool. And the images that show on the taxon page (first 8) are also important – please don’t force users to dig even deeper to find a single photo of a caterpillar.