Remove leaderboard from Identify page

True of course, but iNaturalist lives on “engagement,” experts are just incidental. And in that sense compulsive clickers are very much wanted.

edit: What I’m trying to say here is, please run, don’t walk, and vote for this feature request.

2 Likes

Personally, I have no interest in leaderboards and I have experienced very little “piling on” by iNat users adding large numbers of uncritical IDs. Certainly all of us may make IDs that others disagree with. A better notification system (soon?) would alert us to that and hasten the learning process.

However, I do feel that it’s very important to allow users to select any combination of “Casual”, “Needs ID” and “RG” observations when using the Identify interface. I use that interface for all sorts of searches for which the Explore interface doesn’t work well. In particular Identify is a lot more practical for using keyboard shortcuts to review photos, and to add annotations and IDs.

By all means, remove the ID leaderboard from the Identify page, but don’t hobble Identify’s search capability.

3 Likes

In Mexican Naturalista, competition for the “best” statistics is a major problem, imo. People agree left and right to wrong IDs just to get a higher placement on the leaderboard — so much so that they are known as “the Likers” (like that, in English). They do so trying to get some sort of recognition from CONABIO, which gives out yearly “diplomas” to people with the highest numbers of anything (IDs, observations, etc). The truth is, we end up with people uploading, say, 10 photos of the same individual in 10 separate observations, many times over, and “liking” (agreeing) to hundreds of IDs, one after the other, without even checking or knowing anything on the subject. And my major peeve with that is the amount of wrongly ID’d RG observations that are being exported to GBIF or others.

Here is a good example of what I mean (all comments in English):

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/7430867

I don’t think iNaturalist/Naturalista is meant to be as a “competition” of any kind, and I believe leaderboards tend to “feed” that attitude in certain people. I vote to remove them!

Greetings to all.

7 Likes

Unless all other leaderboards are removed, which is a broader request and topic, I doubt removing this one will change any behaviour. And frankly I have my doubts even removing all of them would curtail it too much.

That being said, I did vote for this paticular request because as noted above from a UI perspective I see no reason for it, nor any valid use case for it on this particular screen.

2 Likes

I just noticed that leaderboard on the ID page no longer shows, and the space formerly occupied by it can now be collapsed.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Thanks to @kueda for this change!

6 Likes

Yay, good work @kueda!

5 Likes

In case anyone is looking for the progress bar that used to display above the leaderboard, it’s now in this collapsible panel.

5 Likes