Removing an erroneous common name

Hi,
In the group that I work on (Orthoptera), someone has added a common name for a species that doesn’t really have one. They found a photo on a stock photo site labelled with a descriptive name (similar to “tropical grasshopper”) and added that as the common name with a link to the stock photo site. Now if I go in and try to change the name to no common name at all, I get an error message because the box for the name can’t be blank. Can someone tell me how to remove the name? Thanks!

You have to put a reason for why you are deleting it into the Note box.
Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 12.47.55 PM

3 Likes

You also have to delete the name, not the text. (Not sure from what you described exactly what you’re doing.)

1 Like

A few years ago, I entered a common name for an organism because I was sure that I remembered seeing it in one of my books from long ago. But now that I have been able to check both of the books that I thought it could have been, it isn’t there. I have, however, in the meantime used the name in one of my published papers, as if it was an established name that did not require attribution. So now I’m in “a bit of a spot,” as the expression goes. One part of me thinks that I should go back and delete the name; but another part thinks that it’s kind of a fait accompli with the publication.

Welp, accidentally or not it can now be legitimately sourced, so hope it’s a good one!

1 Like