Research Through Gardening

I get an impression that many inatters garden or grow something. I think a new heading in General category(?), something like “Gardening Insights,” or “Research Through Gardening” might provide the source of ideas and research info on unusual botanical insights, solutions and challenges.

2 Likes

Agree, if iNatter is into plants. Since I am, I’m trying to observe how Wild Carrot (Daucus carota) grows from seed to flower in this observation and use notes to link it back to previous observations where the plant is younger.

Usefulness? It might help me ID it better in the wild at different life stages.

3 Likes

and here’s Research Through Gardening: in your observation the plant has that green top, while in Israel it has white and lavender top, with a prominent fake excrement in the center, https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/115959825

2 Likes

I think mine has not flowered yet? :thinking: I like your description of the little brown bit in the middle though!

1 Like

so it is a conversation piece for the other post I made, about evolutionary biology. I guess the plant has developed/evolved the lure because throughout its evolutionary progress it has brought more pollinators.

2 Likes

Some folks are using the Observation Field to link these developmental series. By doing so, you can have one link that displays all of the observations of that individual over time. Here’s my tutorial: https://www.inaturalist.org/journal/pfau_tarleton/29431

2 Likes

General is for issues directly related to iNaturalist, so that would not be a good place for a discussion about gardening. Might be fine for Nature Talk. This category is Forum Feedback, which is not a place to discuss gardening or iNat use.

1 Like

yes, this is a very useful tutorial. I’ve never paid attention to the Observation Field button.
UPDATE: the observation group process is a bit verbose and not straightforward (or intuitive).

Thanks! I’ll group those observations together like suggested with your tutorial next time I use the website interface on a non-mobile device. I mostly interact with iNat through the android app, so some of these more advanced features are absent.

3 Likes

I’m going to close this topic. If you want to start a gardening topic, please do so in #nature-talk.