Sandhill Crane Subspecies Map

Hello fellow naturalists! I was inspired by a fellow colleague of mine neil712, and his Map of Fish Crows vs American Crows in Florida. As such I decided to use what I’m learning in my college’s GIS class to create a map of my favorite bird, the Sandhill Crane and their subspecies as they’ve been reported across North America. Feel free to use this for reference and post elsewhere, just credit me please!

Programs used: ArcGIS Pro, iNaturalist Data Export tool, OneDrive.

1 Like

We get both subspecies wintering in New Mexico but I honestly haven’t spent much effort trying to ID individuals to that level. My understanding is we also get intergrades to make things more difficult.

1 Like

I am curious about the Mississippi Sandhill Crane records in central FL? I was under the impression that the MS subspecies is non-migratory and only occurred historically along the coast(FL Panhandle, AL, MS, Louisiana, and Texas) with only one endemic population remaining in south MS.

I exported Research grade and verifiable reports of all the subspecies, regardless of their location. Looking on the map it would appear those seemingly odd reports of Mississippi’s in Florida are private, because I can’t find them on the public observations on iNat. Perhaps the data export tool pulled them anyway? Not sure.

Very cool. You don’t have Arizona on there. We have a pretty decent wintering population here, I believe both Lesser and Greater subspecies. They should be returning actually so I’ll be heading out to see them soon.

Very awesome! This map is just Research Grade observations, not a known range map. That’s why there’s some large holes. Not everyone reports subspecies so

I don’t think I know how to ID to that level so I definitely don’t but if someone can and does so on my obs I’ll correct it. I only have 4 up from my hundreds of photos of them.

If you @ me on any of those observations (or any in the future) I’d be happy to ID them to subspecies for you. Like I said Sandhills are my favorite species of bird and favorite animal, I’m a little bit of a nut when it comes to them.

However to ID to subspecies you simply type the subspecies name (either scientific or common) into the ID box. For example, for the Florida Sandhill Crane you’d type “Florida Sandhill Crane” or “Antigone Canadensis Pratensis” to the ID box and it will pop up. Hope that helps!

Everyone is a nut about something. My friend group doesn’t call me Snake Girl for no reason. I will @ you on the ones I have and make a note to do so in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.