Scientific names for mythical creatures

Wouldn’t werewolves be Homo sapiens which are suffering from an unclassified infectious disease? Canis sapiens would be intelligent wolves or some other sort of intelligent canine.

6 Likes

Very true; there’s actually a name for it, lycanthropy, or in a more psychiatric context, clinical lycanthropy

2 Likes

I know that are plants but these are magic and mythical plants.
The magic plant “mandrake” the one that appears in the Harry Potter movies, Pan’s labyrinth and also in the chilling adventures of Sabrina, could be “Mandragora infantem” as it cries like a baby.

And the whomping Willow of Harry Potter could be Salix inimicus

4 Likes

Not as much mythical as many treated before…

Cthulhu: Oropolypus terribilis
Shub Niggurath: Incubocapra prolifica

Megapiranha: Neoacnodon giganteus
Sharknado: Carcharodon turbinatus

3 Likes

Tonitrua aquila – Thunderbird

Though perhaps with the descriptions of “eye-witnesses”, in all fairness it could be in an already described genus like Gyps or Vultur/Gymnogyps.

2 Likes

A post-doc I worked with at Duke (now Assistant Professor of Evolutionary Ecology and Ecological Genomics at Queen’s University) crated a phylogeny of dragons. To quote: “This phylogeny was created using the neighbour-joining method with a trait matrix encoded from historical depictions of dragons (e.g. Raphael, Da Vinci).”

3 Likes

For completely made up birds, check out the book A Field Guide to Little Known & Seldom Seen Birds of North America by Ben, Cathryn, and John Sill. Includes birds like the Middle Yellowlegs( Tringa Intermedius) and Least Yellowlegs ( Tringa Minor) and the Eastern Narrow Sparrow (Endomorphus Unbelieveably Thinus).

4 Likes

I’ll admit that I don’t have a lot of experience in this area, but I really don’t think that’s how that works.

1 Like

I’m afraid so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur#Birth_and_appearance

2 Likes

And if that wasn’t enough for you, look for Another Field Guide to Little Known & Seldom Seen Birds of North America.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.