Scoping out endoscopy

Yes, thanks cthawley, that’s exactly what I"m talking about.

I think that they may have great potential for field observing. Especially the newer models. I’m looking an Amazon unit that’s around $50 (USD) that has a much higher resolution camera chip than what is the ‘standard’ 1280 (HD video) resolution. It’s also a wider tip (12mm (half inch) vs. 7-8mm for most of the older units) which may curtail some situations, but the images look promising. Plus, these new units have auto-focus features – with some caveats. Like their predecessors, the viewing angle is about 60 degrees, and about a 3/4 inch minimum focal distance (to infinity).

This unit seems to actually live up to the description – at least after reading many of the more local reviews.

I combed those same reviews for a biological image sample submitted by a purchaser, but because these are principally purchased by mechanics and plumbers, all I got was stuff like pipes and carbeurator valves.

FWIW, here’s a cropped clip from one of the samples that the company included in the product description that at least shows a biological sample:

And if these are samples from the full screen, they were presented at roughly one third of their actual full resolution. I could work with that!

There is also a sample video to view on their product page-- it’s the bottom button on the left sample menu. It looked pretty good!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HVT2XZL?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_S5VVJDQ67R625H2MF0HE

A frame grab from that video:

There are models that don’t need a smartphone (and an Android or Windows smartphone – doesn’t do iOS) to work, but I think from a field standpoint, the less gear, the better.

Anyhow, if anyone has tried this, or other endoscope for nature observing, I’d love to hear more details of your experience.

It seems to me that the manufacturers are missing out on a whole potential market vein with nature lovers. This was the ONLY model I could find that included a nature shot.

In my mind I can see rigging up some kind of ‘video probe’ that would get my eyes down to near ground level without stooping.

And if that doesn’t work, I can always tell my tolerant wife I needed an endoscope to check out the main external sewer air vent on the roof which I believe is now clogged by leaves and stuff. :wink: