Seeking advice on visiting Death Valley

You might like to search for more on that link, on archive.org you can search both American and Canadian libraries. There are a number of gold rush journals, as well a journals from the early Antarctic and Artic explorers. Is a very cool site.

For me it’s not a desire to see the finest. But often times, endemic species exemplify something that is particularly special about a location. And that can tell a very fascinating story of geology, ecology, and the history of a location. But that’s just me, that’s personally how I like to learn.

Just returned yesterday, but i have a lot of chaos to sort out before I can get 'round to uploading any observations. Had 3 good days in Death Valley before the wind came up and chased me out.
Darwin Falls was the most productive site for me, but I also logged some exciting, if tiny, roadside flowers! Texas Spring campground came in second.

3 Likes

Yes, all of the valleys in our area act as giant north-south wind tunnels whenever storms pass through. Can’t wait to see your observations!

Things that proved essential or extremely useful:

• Merrell hiking boots
  • my trusty Nikon A900, 3 extra batteries, and a Watson charger that can be used in the car
  • Garmin eTrex10
  • Eureka A-frame tent, ground cloth, stake hammer
  • extra tarp, rope, and clothespins for rigging some afternoon shade
  • summer clothes, assorted jackets
  • Nibbly food: tortillas, crackers, PNut butter, cheddar, fresh vegetables and fruits, protein bars
  • Ground coffee, a jar, some paper filters, and a 10cent plastic funnel for making coffee
  • a bucket for bathing and washing up
  • a small journal for jotting notes
  • a book

Things I brought but did not use:

• 3 of the 4 gallons of water I had brought (DVNP did have water, but you never know!)
  • sunscreen
  • insect repellent
  • iPod
  • hot pot
  • flashlight

Other good things to know:

• Gas at Furnace Creek was $7.55 a gallon; at Stovepipe Wells or Panamint Springs it was $5.55 a gallon. Stovepipe sells only 87 octane.
  • All campgrounds were full or close to capacity. To get a campsite, I arrived on a Tuesday, lurked at my preferred campground just before check-out time (12PM), and nabbed one of the two spots that were just expiring. A great deal of luck was involved.
  • Do your big hike for the day early, get it done by 10 or 11AM. Do your scenic drives later in the day, or move to the high elevations
  • Evenings are short: too dark to read by about 7 PM. It’s wonderfully dark at night. Good daylight by 6AM.
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.