Seeking advice on visiting Death Valley

Hello all – I would like to see and naturalize Death Valley. I am a very strong walker, and own camping equipment but not backpacking equipment. What’s the right way to do this?
I’m retired and my time is my own. I’d be traveling from New Mexico.
Also, is anybody out there interested in a meet-up? Getting together with other iNatters would make this trip all the better.

10 Likes

I’m more of a day hiker, so I can’t offer advice on equipment/preparedness besides the basics (bring lots of water, wear a hat and sunscreen, tell rangers your intended route, and avoid hiking long distances at midday-afternoon).
I can however recommend going to Ash Meadows NWR about 30 mins east of Death Valley, Crystal Springs is beautiful and since it’s an oasis in the desert, it’s a great congregation point for wildlife and I regret not spending more time there on my way to Death Valley.

5 Likes

I had a nightmare of a vacation to Death Valley, but I second this about Ash Meadows. Lovely place, so interesting in flora and fauna, and beautiful night sky. It was the best part of the trip.

If you’re wondering what was wong with the rest of the trip: there was a windstorm that got sand in our tent and sent drifts of sand over the roads, so we got no sleep and ended up having a car accident.

8 Likes

Other general advice: the park is much bigger than you think. It would take several days and considerable driving to see all the portions. Many areas, like the famous sailing stones, are accessible only by high clearance 4-wheel drive vehicle. I enjoyed the artist’s palette area and Darwin falls before my trip was cut short.

7 Likes

Death Valley is amazing and very worth visiting!

The biggest advice I can give is don’t underestimate it - stay near well-travelled roads, don’t take your vehicle off the pavement unless you have a good toolkit and know how to use it. If you are going anywhere more remote, let someone know your itinerary and schedule check-ins with them.

It gets surprisingly hot even in the “cold” months, and you dehydrate very quickly, even if you don’t feel hot. Take a LOT of extra water and gatorade.

My favorite things to see were the pupfish and the desert shaggy mane mushrooms… not things you expect to find in such an arid environment.

10 Likes

Fourteen-day weather forecast looks pretty nice to me. I would think that a hoodie, fleece pants and a fall-weight sleeping bag or summer-weight plus sleep sack in whatever light-weight tent would do you for essential camping gear. An self-inflating sleep mat is also great for keeping your bones off the cold ground. Don’t forget to plug it before you lie on it, though! Not sure if you need to worry about snakes wanting to share your bag at night? Obviously, you’d dress a lot cooler during the day, and would want to stay well-hydrated.

4 Likes

Death Valley is an amazing place and I fully support Graysquirrel’s comments about not underestimating it. While the main roadside attractions get lots of visitors, it is very easy to get off the beaten path and once you are a few miles from the nearest maintained road or a mile from the nearest well used trail, and you are well isolated. That said, when are you thinking about visiting? Just outside the park is not only Ash Meadows, but you can see the Devil’s Hole Pupfish, one of the rarest fish in the world (you stand in a cage looking down into its pool). Also nearby is China Ranch, a date farm on the Amargosa River and some of the best desert riparian in the state. In the hot months (if you have a high clearance vehicle) a trip to Wildrose Peak is a great outing and the drive to there along Emigrant Canyon Road is very nature-rich. The area around Mesquite Springs is also quite diverse. Just remember to look for the small. There is an amazing diversity of life there but much of it is inconspicuous to the casual observer. I hope you have a fantastic time!

Also the walk to Darwin Falls is always worth doing.

7 Likes

Based purely on the park website, I’m guessing that a several-day trip somewhere within the window of late Feb to early/mid March should be enjoyable. (Here is where feedback may be needed!)
Based on y’all’s advice I will be sure to bring along my 5 gallon carboy of water.
I’ll add that I have a Crosstrek with 8 inch clearance – an excellent gravel road vehicle, also brilliant in snow and ice, though I would be cautious about deep sand or mud. I’m old enough not to have to go for maximum adrenaline.
I own a Garmin, but would think twice before trusting my life to its AA battery on or off trail. Mostly use it to catch geolocations of any photos I take, but it could come in handy should I stray.
Thanks very much for these side-trips that you have suggested – they will potentially enrich the trip greatly!

3 Likes

From iNat observations, March looks lovely!

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/40340205
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101511809
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/102093864
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/103380349

3 Likes

If you plan on camping, be prepared for heat AND cold. The days may still be warm in the desert, but the nights can get chilly in the winter. Being from NM, though, you probably knew that. Also one thing many people don’t realize is that there is actually quite a bit of elevation difference in the park. Badwater Basin is 282 ft below sea level, but Telescope Peak is above 11,000 ft. The temperature varies quite drastically with the elevation as well. The Panamint range frequently gets snow in the winter.

5 Likes

I have camped at the furnace creek campground in January, and really enjoyed it. It was cold at night, and I would recommend packing a good coat and gloves if you want to stay out in the evenings. Hiking during the day was absolutely perfect. You will likely see more wildflower bloom if you wait to go later in March or April, but you will also see larger crowds. We really enjoyed the quiet in January.

4 Likes

I suspect it might be too cold for much reptile activity, but look out for them when driving on roads! Passed this freshly-killed sidewinder there a few years ago. :cry:

The pupfishes are definitely cool, I spent a good chunk of time watching a male defend his territory pretty aggressively.

As for flowers, DesertUSA predicts an average season, which should still be pretty sweet. I definitely recommend checking that page as you near the area.

7 Likes

I know nothing about Death Valley, but just want to echo what @graysquirrel says. Never underestimate the weather. I only know cold weather survival. Currently, where I live, it is well below -20 C. Last week a family from India froze to death trying to cross into the US border (at the time it was -35 C), about an hour south of me. Although they had winter gear, I don’t know how good it was. The land here is flat with no trees. I would have at least had snowshoes, a candle, a shovel, and a compass. If I got lost I would make quinzee (piled snow shelter) and lit the candle to stay warm (with ventilation). I don’t know much about hot places, and it sounds like folks here can offer more advice than me about that. But weather can kill. So be prepared, and have a contingency plan.

5 Likes

Here is a safety advisory from the Natl Park Service, which mostly says what we’ve already seen mentioned here.

I was curious to read the note about Hantavirus virus in the park, though it isn’t likely a big risk factor in your situation.

And, I was surprised by the heartfelt warnings about marijuana grows. I would not have guessed there was enough irrigation water for those in Death Valley.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/safety.htm

1 Like

The UNM men’s club frisbee team calls themselves Hantavirus :laughing: Not sure if it’s more common here or Death Valley.

1 Like

Don’t you mean Ultimate team? Great team name, though!

1 Like

From today’s news… best sunrise in the west (includes history):

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/Why-Zabriskie-Point-is-the-best-sunrise-hike-in-16804199.php

I really like Death Valley, and have visited quite a few times. Among other places, I think it’s worth the drive toward Telescope Peak (the road is probably closed due to snow before you get to the trailhead). There are lots of interesting places along the way. Same for the road to Dante’s view, which should be open.

Death Valley is huge. You can drive until you see something new or interesting, then get out and hike as far as you want. There are hundreds of interesting places.

1 Like

Yes, a discovery mission --exactly the way I would like to approach this.
Thanks very much!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t go with you, but I strongly advise you to find a partner for visiting Death Valley.

1 Like