I just encountered an issue with my collection project and I’d like to be sure that I completely understand the situation.
I am coordinating a place-based collection project for butterflies. https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/cvc-butterfly-blitz.
I made an observation of a butterfly yesterday which I originally identified as a non-sensitive species, so it was was automatically included in the project (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/30482552). Then it was re-identified as a sensitive (S3) species and it no longer shows up in the project. This is somewhat annoying since it is a new species for the project, but now we won’t see the increase in species number. I’m also wondering if other participants have made observations that we aren’t seeing.
I’ve been reading this post but still have some questions: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/some-observations-dont-show-up-in-projects-is-poaching-really-the-concern/1243
Do I understand correctly that any sensitive species with location obscuring will not show up in collection projects? Or is it just that the uncertainty boundaries are outside our project boundaries? (I can’t tell since it’s my observation and it doesn’t look obscured to me)
I read that I would need to create an umbrella project that combines our collection project with another project to ensure that these sensitive species are included. But, I’m not exactly sure what it would need to be combined with. Also, it seems a bit late in the game for this year to make a new project, since we already have all kinds of people who have joined the project and it’s only running till August 24th.
I read through all the information about the different project types before choosing collector project, since it seemed to best suit our needs. There was no mention of this issue - it would have been helpful if there was, as I probably would have chosen to do it differently had I known.