Share observations on social networks

Hello.

Is it possible to share observations on social networks in order to increase my chances of having an identified species?

2 Likes

Sure, nothing speaks against it. Just upload the photos there or give a link to your observation.

2 Likes

I often follow the same obs both here on iNat, and in fynbos groups on FB. Many eyes get to an ID sooner. From … last seen in 1814 … to an ID overnight yesterday.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/121269190

PS ongoing discussion it is moving to yet another one and only!

8 Likes

The only thing I would add before sharing things on social media is you might make sure your photos/media are licensed by Creative Commons license (which you should do anyway) and provide a link to the iNat record. That way when people take your image there won’t be copyright issues.

2 Likes

Yes! I am active on Twitter. There is a strong informal community of iNaturalist users there.

When posting a link to an iNat observation on Twitter, the first photo is shown. It’s cropped the way Twitter usually does, so a landscape (wider than tall) image works best as the first image for this. For example, I recently found pupae of a leaf miner in my garden. I tweeted the link to the iNaturalist observation for them.

I can’t think of an instance where my tweeting one of my observations led to its ID. But I will often look at iNaturalist observations I come across on Twitter, whenther I can help with ID or not.

4 Likes

I’m in a little fungal Twitter community, if it’s that kingdom of life, lemme know, I’ll boost your signal!
I’ve learned a fair few things so far from posting observations to social media.

2 Likes

OK. Thank you all for the help you have given me.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.