Share your favourite iNatting tools!

Maybe even this will be too much but have you tried a binocular harness? I used to use a neck strap and my neck/shoulders would be cranked after a day of birdwatching. Made the switch and never go back. Can wear them all day with no issue, and bounce around way less than a neck strap (only when running). I find binoculars to be one of the most versatile tools for observing; from looking at distant wildlife, magnifying insects, or zooming in on that plant I’m too lazy or unable to get closer to.

4 Likes

On any given walk outdoors I like to have my phone (camera and ID resources), binoculars, 20/30x loupe (can’t remember), and I’m trying to get better about bringing a small ruler.

If I’m looking for fish in one location I usually bring a dip net and observation tank, and occasionally a cast net, with really bright flashlights to look through the water if I’m going at night.

Sometimes I iNat underwater in which I’ll probably have a wetsuit/gloves/booties, snorkel, and Olympus TG-06.

2 Likes

I’ve definitely thougth about it, but then I’d be a “real” birder… ;-) I’ve lately been bringing my close focus binos (Pentax Papilio) on non-birding hikes, and those are a bit easier to have around my neck but focusing with them can take a while.

2 Likes

My smartphone.

Good photos to post is the prize for me. Nothing else.
I make observations everywhere I am, so always having a camera at hand is imperative.

4 Likes

My smartphone, a handheld lantern and flashlight (esp. at night), and a tripod.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

What do you use the tripod for? The lantern?

2 Likes

Nah, the phone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.