Should I post multiple observations of same species or possibly same individuals at same location at different hours or days?

Many would no doubt disagree with the research aspect. Many more, including iNat staff, see it as being a sideline. Interaction with non human species is the primary purpose.
EDIT I meant to say “many would no doubt ‘agree’…”

3 Likes

I very much disagree with “the research stuff is entirely the point”. For some in the community it is, while for others it is more about encouraging people to value the environment and the organisms we share this Earth with. Making observations is a very organic way to build that sense of value. Perhaps “the research stuff is a big part of the point”

Prior to iNat, I would walk along the beach, see diggers rolling through the dunes during the annual beach cleanup, and even though I was aware they might be adversely impacting that environment, I wouldn’t have cared enough to take action about it. I walk through that same beach as an “iNatter”, and I am actively looking for living organisms that I have not seen before (or that maybe shouldn’t be there)… and when I see those diggers, I’m like “please don’t do that…”, and I ring the council and complain. If it continues to happen, then at the next election, I am going to challenge the candidates on that issue, and vote for the candidate that understands (or at least most aligns with) the value that I place in that habitat. The diggers might still roll through those dunes, but we might at least be encouraging other options to be considered…

Data from science might influence some politicians from allowing the destruction of the environment, but enough voters that value the environment can stop the bad politicians from getting elected in the first place!

7 Likes

That’s very interesting. As I have become more aware of the patch of land I go to every day, I’m seeing that old trees are habitats for birds, and that the city could help ‘re-wild’ the area by simply stop mowing places that are not used for parklike activities. I’ve written to the powers that be about things I have seen - I don’t think any of that would have happened without the heightened awareness from iNat. These local actions are as important as research.

8 Likes

Lol, “Me Too!”. I have been to a park before, and discovered the grass is like what I imagine an English Meadow to be… knee high and full of flowers of many colours, and insects flying around like snow in a winter blizzard. I know, my imagination isn’t at all accurate! Anyway, I am excited and return the next day with a sweep net and full compliment of charged camera batteries… and they’ve bloody mowed the field! argh! Never mind, there are some kids playing cricket on the newly mowed “pitch”, and they take an interest in me shaking tree branches over a white tray, and then the parents see their children talking with a (very) strange man at a park so they also take an interest in what I am doing, and through a casual discussion about the current great mass extinction some hearts and minds are reached…

9 Likes

And iNaturalist HAS a definition of observation which of course has fuzzy edges in some cases.
I don’t think any clarification is needed, but if a scientist doesn’t feel an observation is a precise as they need, yes they can ignore it.

What Am I saying? We should all try to follow the definition suggested, but don’t be too concerned of edge cases and exceptions. You can always throw in a note “Maybe not the same individual” or “Last photo 2 days later” and let someone curating a collection use it or not.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.