I am realizing now (and will implement next time) that some categories will have to be added:

• pterygota - general / high rank
  • pterygota - specific taxon/group (check here AND specify below)
  • other land inverts
  • birds

and hopefully that would be better. but hey, it’s a learning process for me as well as for all of you.

5 Likes

With Hymenoptera at least in some areas I can help, but yeah, level matters.

2 Likes

Re: the two fungi mentors – what region are they in?

they both got paired up since I posted that image… I’m not sure how to make a post that reflects the current remaining mentors. 3 for inverts, 3 for land plants, 1 for birds I think. off the top of my head.

I signed up for vertebrates, but specifically I’d love help on birds. Thank you so much for the initiative!

5 Likes

@astra_the_dragon I’d be glad to dive into pterygota if it’s easier to make a match.

1 Like

ok, new matches, sorry it’s not perfect but it’s the best I can manage for now.

odonut + mamestraconfigurata
melodi_96 + elschongar
luluincorsica + tz_nh
driftlessroots + beetle_mch

with that, we have:
2 mentors offering land plants
2 mentors offering unknowns.

I’ll update the top post at some point later today/tomorrow.

oh, and if @robotpie needs to back out or wants to work together with a 2nd mentor for their learner, @fluffyinca can be your 2nd.

5 Likes

notice: I will be closing off new sign-ups at some point on Tuesday to give myself time to prep

2 Likes

thanks for giving me chance, I will try my best :)

1 Like

You’d be surprised how much information and tips you can share, and how much you can learn from just about anyone. You got this :)

2 Likes

I’m happy to work with @fluffyinca! abhijatshakya and I have already been acquainted. I am not sure if he is on the forum but he tells me he is “interested in birds, butterflies(all over the world) and insects mostly from India”, just to give you a better idea of his ID preferences.

2 Likes

sounds good. not every match will be perfect, whether due to interests, personality, time zones or whatever else, which is why this is a four-day trial period. I’m hoping that some long-term mentorships and friendships come out of this, or even one. I’m just happy I get to learn about snails, although I was really crossing my fingers for true crabs :)

1 Like

3 new pairings:

kevinfaccenda + caja-manga
fluffyinca + ionam
dianastuder + hmcook

which leaves:
1 person offering land plants (sorry Amy, you signed up late ;)
1 person seeking lichen or microscopic organisms

2 Likes

Glad to help, but only for limited areas, mainly Europe.

1 Like

thank you for your kind offer :)

they appear to be from Texas, but if you’re picking up a new discipline any way, may as well start in Europe and try to transfer principles elsewhere afterward. It’s one of the great things about iNat. I started learning in Israel, moved (back) to New Jersey, and after a year and a half of regular practice I knew my specialty well enough to give a fair attempt internationally. Of course I am a lot better within one subgenus and within Israel and America, but I can at least try – or know when I don’t have the knowledge for a place.

@crseaquist what do you think?

You posted while I was at work!

1 Like

you’re literally the last person left ;P
… unless another someone decides to take the plunge into learning about land plants.

it’s ok, I learn from you every day :D

2 Likes

That works great for me :)

hmcook is in Arizona. Would be better paired with Amy. Both for the time zone (Cape Town is GMT) and for the familiar plants.
And I can vouch for Amy - she has helped me with IDs
I could do the night shift for Amy tho.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your initiative, @astra_the_dragon !

It will be a great opportunity <3

1 Like