@fluffyinca I see you’re paired with me :)

New to IDing and iNat in general. So, I’m open to being steered towards areas where you think you could best tech me things. Feel free to PM me here or on iNat itself.

1 Like

Who is the person in Texas? What are they looking to learn? I’m in Texas.

2 Likes

OK, here is an overview containing all the data I could gather:

mentor mentee
egordon88 iosialectus
cadecampbell swampass
kevinfaccenda pirarucu
robotpie abhijatshakya
machi tz_nh
thomaseverest trh_blue
clifton_albrecht fluffyinca
sbushes philinnsw
zdanko mtroutman1
maxbird1 felix-insects
felix-insects maxbird1
lappelbaum beetle_mch
mamestraconfigurata odonut
tz_nh luluincorsica
melodi_96 elschongar
beetle_mch driftlessroots
kevinfaccenda caja-manga
fluffyinca ionam
annkatrinrose hmcook
arboretum_amy kelptaylor

We could need one more mentor for unknowns to replace dianastuder, who wants out. Any takers?

I’ll create URLs now and will send them to the mentors later today after consulting with Blue.

5 Likes

I am here :) abhijatshakya

1 Like

I follow up on a lot of unknown to plantae with IDs for my area (Southern Appalachians, US), so if that seems close enough I’d be happy to help out. I’m a newbie to this sort of mentor/mentee activity though but would be interesting to see how this works.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll edit the list above and insert your name there. And I think most here are newbies with respect to (at least this sort of) mentoring.

1 Like

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. Working on lichens in Europe with @jurga_li would be great. I am from the west Texas.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Okay, so I am interested in land plants , particularly USA west coast. But, I did not register. If it’s feasible, I would like to learn more about IDing those land plants. If it’s not feasible, that’s okay and fine, too.

2 Likes

there will be a second round! anyone who didn’t get a chance to be matched the first time will be prioritized in the next round. plus it will hopefully be set up a little better.

2 Likes

I am trying to learn more about lichens and I am also interested in learning more about IDing micro-organisms. Many of my recent postings have been to the project “Microscopic Microbes”, https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/microscopic-microbes.

Thank you for your interest.

2 Likes

Thanks - I think we achieved an understanding :-)

1 Like

I’d sure be happy to have someone around who can ID snails.

Hmm, I think I may have misunderstood how this works. Are you saying that these mentorships are more about learning how to identify (in principle), rather than about learning specific species? Like, say butterflies: is it about learning what features to look for so that one can identify butterflies in whatever place they end up, or is it about learning the butterflies of a specific place?

1 Like

I’m a little fuzzy on how this is supposed to work. It says further up in the thread that we will receive a personalized link to follow up on IDs, or maybe I misunderstood. I don’t seem to have gotten anything yet. Do we just get in touch with each other and talk?

1 Like

The person I’m mentoring is in California and I’m in east Texas (western-most part of southeastern coastal plains and piney woods) so our plant communities are very different. I’m covering how to identify characteristics of some of the larger plant families and the subfamilies and tribes within them.

1 Like

That’s up to the mentor and mentee. I was trying to address the issue of a mentor who knows about a particular region teaching a mentee who is in another place, or wanted to learn about another place.

Oh no! I forgot to add you to the DM! I’ll add you right now.

1 Like

To provide feedback,

I have no experience at all in identification, and as the person mentoring me has more experience with plants, I am taking observations that are still listed as “unknow” and identifying what I know, and marking as “Plantae”, what I can’t go beyond. Something like 80 this last 2 days.

My mentor and I haven’t exchanged much so far, we are in very different zones. One proposal, if possible, next time put our name and location, and let the mentors pick people along with the fee information of interest as well.

The “challenge” served to overcome insecurity :) I’m just in doubt if any continuity will happen.

hugs,
Caja-manga

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! Every part of it will help the next mentorship program be better. Maybe next time, if you choose to join, you can find a better match :)

We have been thinking about different ways to match mentors + mentees. This was the 2nd time I’ve done a mentorship program and we tried a completely new system. The 3rd time it might be very new all over again. I’m still learning, and so are the many awesome people who assist me!

I’m glad that you are overcoming some insecurity. It’s really the first step. I remember when I was first starting, I was so scared someone would think I was stupid for choosing the wrong ID! But I found a really good mentor, and with his help my skills grew until now I can learn on my own. But I still ask for help often. I’m also a mentee this time, and I have many, many many questions. Snails are very different than plants!

Blue ;)

2 Likes

I have skimmed thru some of yours. Many garden plants - which we all have in common (roses and lavender and petunias)
But you have many plants which I don’t know. You need someone who knows plants from your area.

1 Like

I wonder. If we had one combined URL for everyone who has signed up for help - then the mentors could tweak the filters to suit where they could help - by taxon and / or by area.
I have an ever growing list of who to turn to for help with … this one please …

3 Likes