So,...What are you wearing?

It doesn’t matter if you’re an amatuer/hobbyist or advanced/professional Naturalist. We all have certain things in common, primarily, our enjoyment and desire to learn more about Nature.

And we have our differences, mostly in our favorite things to find (mine are Wild Edibles/Medicinals). That goes without saying.

But, my curiousity grew while observing several of that unique species iNaturalist the other day, and it caused me to think about my gear and my clothing.

So, now that you know the title is NOT leading into an erotic thiriller, how’s about sharing?

What gear goes with you on an observation? How do you carry it? What’s your choice of attire for the excursion?

Hey, it’s a wet, chilly Saturday in New England, and I’m trying to avoid housework, so…

:wolf::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Outdoorsy clothes! Observations from that hike: https://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/egordon88/2023/8/27

12 Likes

I just wear whatever clothes I happen to be wearing that day (shorts in summer, sweatshirt and pants in fall/spring, tend to avoid observing in winter). But I’m not a super hardcore naturalist so…

3 Likes

Nice kit. Very familiar looking terrain. I especially like that your pack has a chest strap.
:wolf::+1:

2 Likes

I really like your attitude, the whole ‘whatever’ strikes SO close to home.
I’ve also noticed I tend to locate awesome finds more on spur of the moment excursions, than those I meticulously plan and prep (read OVERLOAD) for.
Does this hold true for you also?

My cotton camo pants, realtree, soft greens, because they’re old and faded. A green camo t shirt, (they never match my pants), if I need sleeves a thin black/green checked flannel shirt or my tan jacket. My pant legs are tucked into my socks and my camo rubber boots are knee high. My camo painted Tilley hat. And DEET! I walked up on a flock of turkeys in the woods three times yesterday.

5 Likes

You do realize the turkeys were wondering why you left the Ghillie suit at home?

Seriously, though, turkeys are tough to sneak up on. And if your goal is mobile critter-type encounters and observations, your kit couldn’t be a better choice, especially since some is faded.

Good luck and keep in mind, SOME critters you WANT to know you’re around.

1 Like

Graphic t shirt, usually sciency. Cargo pants stuffed with lenses for my phone, scale items, and such. Comfortable walking shoes. My camera. Homemade “Ask me about iNaturalist!” Badge.

5 Likes

:rofl: Like minds. I’m usually in a blue tie-dye ‘Steal Your Face’ t-shirt, net body fishing vest over that (can’t have too many pockets), desert tan cargo pants (POCKETS), and lightweight hikers.

I definitely want to see that homemade badge.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m 67, and have practiced sneaking for most of them! Turkey and deer are favorites, walk and stalks. Rabbits are fun, too. When I sit I have had mice, chipmunks and chickadees on me.

3 Likes

Not far behind ya. Grew up in the Smokies, worn earthtones all my life. My wardrobe is mostly outdoorwear, but some doubles for the rare Social event (ugh) I attend.

Yakno, they call us ‘Stalkers,’ right?

3 Likes

A wild mushroomer preparing for a hunt LMAO.

Ive started using a creel bag instead of a backback because its easier to access my tackleboxes and other miscellanous tools when i dont have to fully take off my backpack.

Also it means i dont have to reposition my camera strap as much

Not pictured: the gargantuan amount of picardin i slathered on myself to keep away skeeters and ticks

13 Likes

Abso-frakin’-lutely LOVE the open basket idea. SO ‘ease of access’ thinking.
My ‘bag’ is made from an old pair of cargo shorts that let go, and I just couldn’t bring myself to get rid of those POCKETS (can’t have too many)!

Have you ever tried rubbing mint leaves on your skin to repel those buzzy, bity, get in your eyes-type critters?

Also, distilled white vinegar keeps almost all bugs away, including ticks (and anyone you might be with, but hey, that CAN work out sometimes).

Thanks for sharing and enjoy being out there.

1 Like

Open baskets are pretty bueno for big delicate fungi.

Honestly, I could try more natural approaches to skeeters but I just… don’t want to risk it. Alpha-gal syndrome terrifies me, so chemical warfare it is.

2 Likes

Just depends on 1) where I’m heading off too; 2) weather conditions; & 3) how long do I plan on being lost for.

I ALWAYS have a backpack, camera, battery pack, black hat, water, gloves, and a loupe.

My clothes are usually: older, beaten-up black or b/w checkered Vans slip-ons; a cheap, solid-color T from Target, usually green, navy, or black; and, if I plan on tramping through bush or if I’m near danger-noodle territory, I’ll have jeans that have been worn so many times you can see my wallet and phone stress imprints. If it’s warmer and I’m staying on trails, I’ll just have tan shorts.

Bug spray and Clif bars are stocked in my car for the start of a trek.

If I’m going foraging (elderberries, currants, gooseberries, woodear 'shrooms, rosehips, prickly lettuce, mullein, and other edibles or medicinals or random stuff that calls out to me [pinecones + rocks + native seedpods]), I have this bigger bag I’ll lug around. There’s plenty of pockets on it and I’ll have mesh bags to use. If it’s that kind of a day, I’ll bring a trowel-- not to poach with – just to dig and see what comes up.

I’ve steered away from bringing food for friends unless it’s native to my locale or if it’s a more naturalized spot where the mallards and other Aves are familiar with homos. Even at that, it’s maybe once a season. There’s plenty of Buffalo gourds and Coyote gourds. I’ll usually break those open and throw them about if it feels like I’m being called to do so.

There’s a duffle in my car with a change of clothes and an extra pair of shoes.

And if it’s a day I need to get away from, I’ll bring a book and read in my car before and after as a way for me to ground. I used to bring little short stories with me and would sit ‘n’ read them before heading back to the abysmal city. They were Penguin Classics for 1£ or something-- I’ve read, reread, and re-reread those that I’ve bought so I don’t bring them anymore

3 Likes

There’s this bug spray that works really well, for me at least. It’s all-natural, being made from essential oils. I don’t have the name atop my head ATM but I get it from Sprouts. It’s expensive so I try to be conservative with my use. Just a thought

I’ve heard like juice works well for mosquito repellant. Just rub lime juices all over ya arms ‘n’ legs, so I believe lol I haven’t tried it but people ik swear by it

1 Like

Picardin works fine for me

Also, dont rub lime juice on your skin, thats an extremely good way to get a nasty rash

https://www.poison.org/articles/lime-juice-and-sun-can-cause-skin-rashes#:~:text=When%20human%20skin%20is%20exposed,%2C%20blistering%2C%20and%20dark%20pigmentation.

2 Likes

Always long pants, unless maybe if I am at a beach. And then whatever shirt I happen to have on today, and usually my collage or work hoodie if it’s cold out, and more snow gear if it’s even colder. Also have to always wear my glasses if I acually want to see anything, haha. And of course I bring my field bag, and my phone, and a healthy amount of picardin bc it feels less “greasy” than bugsprays.

I love my BOGS boots for when I go to the pond or vernal pool, otherwise I wear sandals/ sneakers/ slip on shoes that aren’t really appropriate for where I am going but they are quick to put on.

3 Likes

If you bet on “something from REI“ you wouldn’t lose but that is probably going to change going forward.

3 Likes

You picked an awkward time to ask this question given where I am staying and made 18 of my last 26 observations. I’m not going to show pictures! New Cambium is the name of the place, but you’ll notice I didn’t link it.

3 Likes