Species complex vs. group

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere, but I couldn’t find any discussion of the exact topic:
Maybe this is more fitting for a feature request, but I’m also generally curious on the thoughts of species groups versus complexes. For most genera that I’ve seen, usually only a group or complex is used, but in other genera, both are used – this is not supported on iNat. I know there’s a better, far more taxonomically stable example that I can’t think of off the top of my head, but here’s one instance: there is the Pheidole pilifera group, under which is the Pheidole bicarinata complex (complexes are typically treated below groups). On iNat, currently, “Complex Pheidole pilifera” is representing “pilifera-group Big-headed Ants”; if we wanted to add the bicarinata complex, it would be impossible, because to my knowledge a complex cannot be placed under a complex (this would otherwise be the theoretical workaround utilizing iNat’s taxonomy system). Would it make sense for a species group taxon level to be added, even if it only applies to some niche genera? I’ll edit this post if I remember the example I was thinking of – it’s one where I would argue having complex and group taxa both added to the site would be helpful for identification.

There is a feature request here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/create-a-new-taxon-rank-for-inaturalist-the-species-group/14543

I’m going to close this topic, but do feel free to comment on the feature request.

2 Likes