"Suggestions" in Indentify vastly different from "Suggest an Idenfication" on observation

There seems to often be quite a difference between suggestions on the individual observation pages and what’s given through the Identify interface. The latter seems to take longer and give inferior results. It seems most dramatic with things filed as “unknown.”

For an “unknown” of a maple leaf on a plate, the observation page suggested a list of maples. The same image in “Identify” gave mallards, then Canada geese.

Why is there a difference at all?

1 Like

welcome to the forum Joe :)

Could you provide some screenshots/examples of what you mean

It could not be “settings”?

I find the same thing when looking to identify peoples organisms on the website. If I am doing my own observations i.e. on the phone, the suggestions are based upon the image and the location and usually has a good shot at getting it at least close. If I try to identify someone else observation and look at the suggestions, they are based purely on the selected taxon and location. Would be helpful to be ab able to “see” what the observer was given as a suggestion.
There seems to be a large divide between the app and the website.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, @singhiella :)

In the suggestions tab of Identify, there are several options. One of them, which is the default, simply gives the most-observed taxa for the given location. You’ll want to use the filters to either switch to “visually similar” or to narrow down by most-seen of a specific taxon.

By the way, if you click on the “suggest an ID” box, the AI will suggest visually similar taxa as it does for the app. The list generated should be identical to the app.

1 Like

You must be referring to the observation page (“Suggest an Identification”) since the corresponding text field on the identify page (“Add an Identification”) does not do this.

Huh. It doesn’t. That’s really weird.

Thank you, much better with “visually similar,” nearly the same top results now.

Aha, Visually similar option selected. Thank you for your advice!

I do wish the results were 100% the same. The observation page often suggests genus or even tribe, while the “visually similar” function of identity only suggests species (besides being too many clicks to use.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.