The Doi Suthep-Pui fires

Here in Thailand we have the case with the covid-19 crisis but one thing that is helping the coronavirus is the massive bushfires that are burning up on Doi Suthep-Pui mountain ranges. The smoke that is carried down the mountain can cause serious lung damage to those who are too poor to afford air purifiers helping the coronavirus to kill easier. One of the main reasons these fires are happening is the villagers on Doi Suthep-Pui are protesting against the government who is clearing forest for government housing and also their agricultural fires going out of control. This may seem quite dumb, and you’d be right. The reason I am writing this is because it may raise awareness of these devastating bushfires that destroy the beautiful ecosystem of the Doi Suthep-Pui mountains and the health of the millions of people living near or on the mountain.

7 Likes

This breaks my heart. Doi Suthep Pui, just to the west of Chiang Mai, sustains amazing invertebrates, especially Lepidoptera, both butterflies and moths. We try to visit what is left of the wild areas of Thailand almost every year. However, considering the obscene degradation of all types of critical habitats and the hideously bad air quality, we are doubtful that we will continue to plan trips. For a country that relies on tourism, the government needs to step back and craft and enforce conservation laws and regulations with some teeth.

3 Likes

I know, one of my biggest concerns is the animals such as pangolins, spiders and other ground living animals. Not only do they die of from the fires, but also lose important prey.

1 Like

Quite sad that this incident is not more “newsable” compared to other similar events like the Australian bush fires, but I guess thats because this time its due to human stupidity/error rather than the more sinister global warming which seems to be the underlying reason for the flames down under.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.