The importance of location precision

Just an observation: with museum specimens, one almost never relies on coordinates alone. There is typically a description of the location (either detailed or general) that accompanies the coordinates, if coordinates are provided. In the event the two don’t align, the description is usually considered the accurate piece of data, under the assumption that it is easier to mess up a series of numbers than a place name.

4 Likes

Yes, if you connected before that moment.

1 Like

I haven’t tested it, since I usually have a stand-alone GPS unit with me, but supposedly a smartphone (an iPhone in my case) can acquire a GPS signal in places where there is no cell signal. Maybe it requires an app but I don’t know. Anyone have info on that?

1 Like

Look how nicely my observations follow the trail on this hike in Colorado with no cell reception https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?on=2021-07-02&place_id=any&subview=map&user_id=egordon88&verifiable=any

But, there are times they do randomly end up very far away or with very large accuracy circles when I later upload via the app.

1 Like

Well, my comment was based on my experience, once GPS is connected it’s working, spending days in spots where phones are not working, sometimes loosing data on photos (even in places with cell signal), but it works ok unless you do something that triggers reconnection, like try using Internet (ofc when it’s possible), it in most cases will lead to lost signal. Without Internet it just takes more time to start, but I think it works too.

1 Like

@fffffffff Thank you both very much. As I said, I have little experience with the technology, so it’s good to know. Perhaps I should get a smartphone at some time!

1 Like

Strangely, I can get perfect accuracy in the middle of a completely dead zone but have the GPS point be a mile away when I have excellent connection and even wifi haha

2 Likes

I posted one workflow possibility in another thread, so will link to it here:

This only works if you want to add a “standardized” GPS position error (e.g. 10 m) to the EXIF data of a collection of photos.

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/geotagging-photos/66/112?u=pfau_tarleton

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.