Geotagging without GPS

Trying to map an invasive species locally, what is the simplest way of adding a location for novices and non-GPS users?

Welcome to the forum! There is a thread about that here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/geotagging-photos/66
I use an app on my phone to track my location and then use a program on my computer to add the location to the photos afterwards.

2 Likes

You can edit the location of your photos at the time of uploading them as well. If itā€™s in the Seek app just click on the ā€˜locationā€™ option 3rd down on the screen after ā€œpost to iNaturalistā€. If youā€™re on the website you will have to add a location before you can upload the picture.

If you have already uploaded some things and need to change an incorrect location you can edit the observation in the dropdown menu under your profile picture on the top-right of the screen.

3 Likes

You can edit locations in the mobile iNat (original flavor, not Seek) app after upload as well.

@upupa-epops
What is the software you use?

Thanks ā€“ I have looked at that ā€“ Iā€™m thinking of folks who can barely use a computer. The easiest I can think of is (if they can use Google Map) hitting a point and the tag comes up with the lat and long

And that should be helpful too, thanks

I use an Android app called Easy GPS logger to record my track and then either darktable for RAW files or GeoSetter for JPGs to add the coords to the photos.
They donā€™t include accuracy/precision data so I have to add it manually when I upload the photos. I usually set it for 10m if Iā€™m walking around, but if Iā€™m taking photos as a car passenger on a highway Iā€™ll do like 300m or 500m because of lag between the cameraā€™s clock and the GPS tracker.

1 Like

When youā€™re uploading an observation on the website, if you click on the Location box in the observation a window will pop up that will let you explore a map.

Once you have the map open you can click anywhere on the map to set the location, and then drag the white dots on the edge of the circle to include the area the organism could have been in.

I think there are video tutorials showing the process here: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/video+tutorials
Thatā€™s by far the simplest way if your phone/camera doesnā€™t automatically record location. It gets tedious if youā€™re observing hundreds of organisms in a day though.

4 Likes

Thank you! thatā€™s great for my purposes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.