"Thousands of native plants are unphotographed..."

You only have 9K

Over here in the US, that would be the state of Washington in the Pacific northwest. Arenā€™t abbreviations fun? When I moved from Germany to Delaware, I used to joke that my location hadnā€™t really changed that much going from DE as the two-letter country code for Germany (Deutschland) to DE for Delaware here in the US.

7 Likes

Itā€™s not just plants. I was totally amazed that my totally obvious beetle on a Texas bluebonnet flower turned out not to have any photos from the wild, at least in iNaturalist.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/151020628

6 Likes

@jbecky: Thatā€™s so cool! - Hope you can do more observations of this beetle.

Was it one of your general observation-areas?

Hear, hear!

Itā€™s exciting when you get a ā€œfirst known photograph of a living specimenā€. I got a couple in Kings Canyon in Central Australia last year.

One of my beetles wasnā€™t identified, but mentioned that it was possibly something never recorded. It was back when I was using my phone camera so the images arenā€™t very good. But at times like that I wish I knew more about what Iā€™m photographing!

3 Likes

iNaturalist can help you identify, with a bit of comparing and thought it should be possible to select the best iNat suggestion.

I think I may have done this recently, though I am not sure. I cannot find any photographs in local databases, like CICY, though there could be plenty of photographs unidentified to species or misidentified to something else.

This is the first observation I made and this observation is where the best observer for beetles locally referenced his source for identifying it. Now these tiny beetles appear to be gone again; they were only present for about ten days.

(Like you I only use my phone camera so my images are never very good.)

1 Like

Have you played with this? https://elias.pschernig.com/wildflower/leastobserved.html
you put in your user name and it will count for you how many observations, and how many are yours! Itā€™s from the ā€œrarest findsā€ thread

2 Likes

I just put in my username and it did whatever it does but I donā€™t know how to interpret the meaning, really.

Species here may also be found in additional local and federal databases but so far I cannot find the little beetle elsewhere. In iNaturalist I have the only five observations.

If I had known it was to be in the garden for so short a period, I would have at least observed one daily. (I could always spot a minimum of two easily and usually three or four during the time they were present.)

1 Like

Thanks for that link, @ItsMeLucy !

It came up with seven or eight for me. I only knew of threeā€¦

Iā€™ve just looked a bit further, and one of the insects I have photographed came up as one of only two observations. Turns out mine is a male nymph and the other is an adult male. So there are still more photographs to be made to fully describe this species!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.