Toggle obscured observations on/off on maps

It was implemented for the website, just not for the apps.
Use the URL parameters taxon_geoprivacy and geoprivacy, e.g. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?taxon_geoprivacy=open&geoprivacy=open returns only observations with open coordinates.

2 Likes

I may be missing something on Explore maps, but I’d like to re-emphasize the request to have the ability to toggle obscured observations off on maps on the website, rather than requiring us to add parameters to the URL. The latter is much more tedious for those of us who are clumsy typists! This issue came to me when I was trying to examine all observations in Williamson County, TX (screen capture attached). Several of the most active iNat users in WilCo obscure their observations, so the map of other observations is almost completely blotted out.

EDIT: I’ve subsequently learned from one of the active WilCo iNaturalists that the majority of the obscured observations in WIlliamson County come from very active game camera monitoring efforts scattered around the county. Both due to landowner preferences and from Texas Parks & Wildlife Department requirements (from whom most of the game cameras are borrowed), the locations of such observation are obligated to be obscured. This is all fine. These projects are adding invaluable data, but the result for general iNaturalist users trying to Explore Williamson County observations results in the map of observations above. This seems like a prime example of why we need a more convenient way to toggle off obscured observations.

2 Likes

I just tried to “Explore” observations in several of the counties in the Greater Austin Region (e.g. Bastrop Co.) and a random selection of a few urban counties around the country (Orange Co., CA; Franklin Co., OH). Without exception, the map of observations is almost entirely blotted out by rectangles of obscured observations. Thus in almost any well-populated area with numbers of active iNaturalists, the eventual accumulation of rectangles of obscured observations will invariably blot out other non-obscured observations. This really needs to be addressed.

2 Likes