Top Observers On The Site

It IS impressive! We each have different circumstances that affect our ability to get out and observe, so don’t feel bad if your high of 50-80 observations doesn’t stack up compared to some mega-observers. Do what’s right for you and your life.

Some factors that may affect a person’s ability to get lots of observations:

• Employment status: Somebody working full time won’t have as much time as someone who’s retired, post-time, or a student. A few also use iNat as part of their job, which facilitates higher numbers of observations.
  • Personal health & ability: folks in good health may find it easier to go out and explore than those battling injury, illness, disabilities, etc., though this thread does have strategies for folks facing those challenges.
  • Resources: Good internet speeds, GPS-equipped cameras, etc. make it easier to upload lots of observations. Access to local parks and good transportation options for farther green spaces also make it easier to access biodiverse areas. Having the money to buy pre-made food, hire a housekeeper, etc. means more time to do other things.
  • iNat habits: What do those users choose to observe? Some clades of life (e.g. plants) are a lot easier to find than others. Do folks get every individual of a species they see? That’s one way to rack up lots of observations.
  • Knowing where and how to look for different kinds of life: As cmcheatle, the smaller stuff isn’t always as noticeable, unless you know to look for it.

I can attest to this. There’s a daisy patch, maybe about a square meter in size, on my way into work, and I’ve seen about 20 species of insects and spiders hanging out on just the flowerheads.

26 Likes