Ugliest birds/bird sounds ever

There just so… loud.

I can imagine a close up… But from afar its not too bad.

I forgot white bellbirds! Their bell-ringing call is AAH!

for me, the neighbours budgerigars in their cage under their verandah about 10m from my bedroom window, at 6am after a hot night when I have the window ajar and had a late night on the rum. A very ugly sound… any other night it is their windchimes that seem to make noise even without wind!

But seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever heard or seen an ugly bird…

2 Likes

Hoatzins are OK but go-away birds are not welcoming (both metaphorically and literally; they technically say “go away” :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)!

2 Likes

As a bird lover, the one thing in birds that genuinely fills me with revulsion are the mouths of estrilid finch chicks. Definitely faces only a mother could love!

1 Like

those are some beautiful calls

1 Like

Yes, though those from Tyranni are definitely totally different from singing passerids.

1 Like

The great blue heron looks so regal and majestic when it stands in a pond, staring at you with its piercing yellow eye.

Then it starts flying, and all of a sudden it sounds like a deranged old man trying to imitate a parrot.

European Gray Herons are the same! Very startling calls.

Passeri, the songbirds, have tweets and chirps and scratches, but Tyranni, little weird.

Heron calls are gross, yes, but anyone has suggestions that are downright bizzare?

Altricial chicks are gross, yes.

But precocial chicks are ADORABLE!!!

You can quote multiple people in the same post. This provides context and saves page space and your time.

highlight and then click quote:
quoteforums

your reply will look like this:
[quote="vihaking277, post:34, topic:19205, full:true"] But precocial chicks are **ADORABLE**!!! [/quote]

and we see this:

1 Like

I know quoting, but we can reply to more than one?

yes

like this

or like this

edit: you can also add stuff to an existing post by editing it ;)

1 Like

I think the system suggested it but I forgot…

:-) thanks

1 Like

Those aren’t too bad, however. The family Cotingidae has WIERD calls and some even LOOK bizzare.

Edit: those photos are of Cotingas.