Updates to conservation statuses in progress in Canada

Welcome to the forum, @jpage_cwf. I see from your iNaturalist profile that you’re one of the admins at iNaturalist.ca. Were you part of the talks with NatureServe Canada that started this process?

There are something like 490 curators on iNaturalist. @cmcheatle, who posted above, is possibly the single most active curator, and also happens to be a resident of Ontario.

iNaturalist did begin by importing conservation rankings and using them to initialize the obscuration-status of species, but that was a deliberately cautious start. Since 2015 (not sure that’s the right year) many of the S1 to S3 ranked species which have no reason to be obscured were unobscured, and several S4 and S5 species which are endangered by collection or disturbance of breeding areas have been obscured. Even though this task is not yet done, I think the curators are rightly concerned that much of their work might be wiped out by resetting obscuration to match conservation rankings, regardless of whether the conservation rankings are updated, since the provincial conservation rankings frankly don’t have much bearing on whether a species should be obscured or not.

Now, most of the CDCs have apparently been pretty good about reviewing the species in their jurisdictions to see which should or should not be obscured, but there have been some concerns raised about how obscuration/unobscuration is being done in Ontario. In addition to many species being senselessly obscured, some have apparently been senselessly unobscured. But the biggest problem right now is that there’s no communication happening. Until yesterday @allisonsw_nsc had only posted in this thread twice, more than a month apart, and she has been the only public contact with anyone on the NatureServe Canada side of things. Even a brief message or two along the lines of “We’re looking into what’s going on in Ontario” or “Ontario is reviewing the list of species but isn’t done yet” would have soothed a lot of fears. The ideal, though, would have been quick feedback from one or more of the iNaturalist curators who are also ONHIC employees (I know there are at least five such). A 10-day turnaround for messages passed through a bottleneck, with no public record of the inquiry or the response seems inefficient, at best.

Most of the concerns relate to commonly observed species being obscured. I estimate there are currently ~500 auto-obscured species with research grade observations in Ontario, compared to ~100 in British Columbia. That comes out to about 1 in 18 species obscured in Ontario vs. 1 in 50 obscured in BC. Reviewing obscured Ontario species in order of the number of observations affected would efficiently address about 2/3rds of the species mentioned in this thread, like Monarch (@dkaposi’s example, the most observed species in Ontario), many common birds (@reuvenm’s area of interest), and Red Spruce (@charlie’s goto example and the 13th most observed obscured species in Ontario).

I understand there are about ~10,000 species with a status in at least one province. iNaturalist users will not be immediately affected if species for which there are currently no observations in Ontario are auto-obscured, so setting them to auto-obscure and reviewing them as time permits should be fine.

The tricky bit is identifying species which have observations in Ontario, are not obscured, but should be. I’m not sure how that could be done efficiently, beyond relying on the expertise of ONHIC staff and of iNat users posting here to prioritize.

4 Likes

This is a really good and important point. I understand why there might be some concerns about having this hashed out on the forum, though i think that would be better than this bottleneck. However, it makes it hard to figure this out without knowing what is being requested or discussed by other people, and whether or not responses have come back or not. Can we take another look at this process and try to refine it so it involves more open communication, at least among curators who live in the bioregion? @carrieseltzer is this something you would consider?

I agree with the rest of this well-written post as well.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s a good point about the disadvantages of email for this purpose. When we originally discussed that process and language we didn’t have the forum. Except for anything regarding highly sensitive information I am in favor of the conversations about taxon geoprivacy happening on the forum. Open to other suggestions for refinement of the process. Thanks Jeremy and Charlie for that.

4 Likes

Would it make sense to require all issues that come up via email or forum posts to point to a corresponding taxon flag, where all subsequent discussion and resolution would take place?

I will find the actual thread, but that is precisely the change request i made, 1 curator flags a request to change status, a different 2nd has to be the one to implement it.

In terms of improving process, we’ve got two timescales here:

1. Immediately, using existing functionality and
  2. Down the road with dedicated functionality.

I propose we focus on 1 here and 2 on cmcheatle’s feature request.

I am fine with either on the forum or in flags. My slight preference would be forum and by location not flags because we will probably want to discuss more than one species. Someone else made a really good point that it’s really only the commonly observed species that are important here, so i looked at Ontario obscured plants by abundance of iNat observations and there are probably 10-20 i’d say are important and safe to unobscure, not sure if it makes sense making 10 or 20 flags especially if they may not be seen by all the people who care about it.

Thanks @JeremyHussell for the thoughtful response. Yes I was part of the talks with NatureServe Canada and iNat.org in starting this process. It stemmed from what we all had considered was an over-obscuring of species that really didn’t need to be obscured. Our intent was to reduce this and come up with a process that was more rigorous than curators uni-laterally making changes. NatureServe Canada’s affiliates in each province made sense and we had started down the path of getting lists of species from the CDC’s based on their local expert opinion of the truly sensitive species. NHIC has decided that all S1 to S3 species still needed to be obscured. I (nor NatureServe Canada, to my knowledge) were part of the conversation at NHIC that came up with that decision, so I can’t speak on their behalf.
I’m going to discuss this further with the iNat.ca steering committee so will provide an update soon (hopefully in the coming days).
Thanks,
James

Can you get them involved in this conversation? It’s going to be very difficult to resolve the issue if they won’t talk to the community. We need a process for what to do when a partner requests something that doesn’t work for the community.

To clarify, get who involved in this conversation? NHIC has been reminded (by me) a couple times of their promise to provide a response. They are at a very busy time of year, with NSC AGM coming up next week and field work initiatives starting as well as many other projects. They assure me a response will come.

2 Likes

I probably should have clarified that the suggestion in my earlier post was intended to address the need for a

Not suggesting any new functionality, just using existing infrastructure (taxon flags) as a place to centralize and organize discussion of obscuration changes. It can still be hashed out in forum discussions, and the flag can just point to that discussion with a link. Or vice versa.

2 Likes

Charlie - it’s been clearly stated at least once that the Ontario NHIC is aware of this discussion and preparing a response.

I’m pretty sure that they do not report to Allison or NatureServe Canada, so please have some patience while this plays out. I suspect they have day jobs too.

Many of them are active members of the iNat community, so they should quickly understand the issues discussed here. There is also the fact that this is a government department, so I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some bureaucracy involved in developing what is, hopefully, a policy change.

1 Like

This is absolutely true and fair.

What is also absolutely true and fair is that they agreed to a 10 business days window to respond to inquiries.If that window does not fit their capacity, it should be redefined.

1 Like

If government agencies are getting involved in inat that’s a whole other wormhole.

I understand that they said they would address the issue. I don’t think I’m particularly impatient about this. It’s been a long time since the issue was raised and I’m not aware of any of them talking to the community at all

Hi everyone,

I’m one of the staff at the Ontario Conservation Data Centre (Natural Heritage Information Centre). I just wanted to say that we are reading this thread and appreciate the input. Unfortunately being in government means we take time to prepare an official public response (this isn’t it). I just wanted to re-assure you that yes, we take your concerns seriously and thank you for your input. We are meeting with other CDCs from across Canada next week at the NatureServe Canada AGM and we will certainly discuss this.

We care deeply about the conservation of wild species in Ontario as you all do and we just want to make sure we get this right. If anyone would like to reach out and discuss things with me over the phone I would be happy to do that (keep in mind it is the field season and I’m not at my desk all the time!). You can find my contact details here: http://www.infogo.gov.on.ca/infogo/#empProfile/146108/en

Cheers and happy naturalizing!

Mike

6 Likes

Thanks Mike!

It’s a busy time for me too and a lot of us!

I don’t think individual phone calls are a great way to handle this since lots of people have individual concerns. I’d hope we’d be able to discuss it somewhere where others could see it such as here or on species flags. And do you want multiple phone calls about red spruce obscuring? Seems that might be more work for you too.

1 Like

Hi Charlie,

No, I wasn’t suggesting people phone me about specific cases such as Red Spruce. What I was suggesting was if you would like to discuss the process (rather than keep posting in this thread) I’d be happy to chat. As I did state in my message above, we are working on a response, and meeting with the other Canadian CDCs next week where I assure you this topic will be thoroughly discussed. I think you’ve made your points loud and clear and they will certainly be considered.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks Mike! I appreciate you chiming in on this thread. I know you and others at NHIC take this seriously and have looked through the feedback on all this. I’m sure much of it will help in moving forward. Looking forward to what comes from the discussion next week.

Update to my post about birds above. I’ve received a response, and the changes I described will all be implemented with the exception of:

• Acadian Flycatcher
  • American White Pelican
  • Forster’s Tern
  • Loggerhead Shrike
  • Piping Plover
1 Like

That’s great! Were reasons provided for those five?

1 Like