Out-of-date NatureServe conservation status?

I see that locations of Libellula saturata are obscured in Utah because of its “threatened” status. However, looking at the NatureServe page for this species, the ranking for Utah is given as S4 (Apparently Secure). This is in contrast with the S3? (Vulnerable) ranking given on the species’ iNat Status tab. The NatureServe page was apparently updated March 2018.

So, when should I expect the current ranking to filter down to iNaturalist and unobscure those locations? Or is something more going on?

1 Like

@jimjohnson These changes don’t filter down to iNat, they need to be updated by curators. You should be able to edit the taxon and update that conservation status.

1 Like

@tiwane thanks. I didn’t see a way to do that, so I figured it must be happening behind the scenes. I’ll take another look.

Hi Jim,

Just checked and it looks like you made the change, thank you. I’ll have to double check, but I think iNat imported NatureServe statuses years ago as a way to these up and running, but since then updates are made manually by curators.

Yes, I did find it—not sure how I missed that before. Now I know…

1 Like

FWIW, the script we use to add NatureServe statuses en masse will also update the existing statuses, so if you ever need us to update the statuses for an entire genus or something, just let us know.

2 Likes

Does it reset the geoprivacy too, or just update the status?

It should replace the status, description, authority, IUCN equivalent status, and URL, so if a curator changed any of those things they’ll get replaced. It should not replace any changes to geoprivacy, but if you want I can test some to confirm.

1 Like

Yes, please. Would dictate how much time I would spend curating species that really don’t need to be obscured.

Just to clarify, we don’t run this script on a regular basis at present. If you have a genus you want us to run it on, please ask. If there are particular taxa you’re worried changes to the geoprivacy getting overwritten, please say which taxa you’re concerned with so I can make sure it won’t do that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.