Use consistent sort order for results of name searches

I found out that the search order for each searcher on iNat is different, not sure why, and also they have sometimes a weird priority in my opinion; for example a common name in a language that is not the current that I am using (french in the example) appearing before a scientific name:

Following this example another searcher gives priority to the scientific name, and also it appears to be not interested on the moth that was featured on the other searcher, and it does not appear, although it features more taxa:

I think that the searchs should be consistent to all iNat and if possible have some correlation with the language used at that specific moment.

I do not know how this searchers work at the moment, but regardless of the resault of this thread I would like to know, out of curiosity.

Hi @pdfuenteb, I changed your request title to reflect (I think) the specific action you are requesting, but feel free to edit it further if I got it wrong.

3 Likes

I get the first version, with the butterfly. But I do have my iNat set to show common names. Still didn’t expect a butterfly instead of large pink flowers.

Sometimes I get Kingdom Fungi randomly showing up in Italian (Funghi e licheni). I speak Italian so it’s not a big deal for me – but I have no idea why it is showing up like this because I have no Italian software or software settings on my computer. Same issue?

I suspect that the issue is that the ID searches only the names (scientific name and common names) in drawing up the list, whereas the search also includes other fields. This is understandable and makes perfect sense.
If you want the second to be the same as the first, then click enter to get the search results on a new screen (but beware on the new screen the “view observations” and “about” are reversed (a good case of a consistency check!!!) and then select Taxon from the submenu (All, Taxa, Users, Projects, etc.), but I would still expect the order to be different, because the ID is not finding all instances, just names, and will thus calculate differently what it interprets me to be most interested in (content rather than an ID).

1 Like