Useful HTML tags for iNaturalist comments and other text - wiki

I’ve also had issues scrolling with embedded images. They look like they’re cut off, but if you’re really careful about it, you can actually get them to scroll. It does seem like there’s room for improvement though.

2 Likes

I have made a blog post on my Project’s page and am using html tables in the post. I have much blank space before each table and have no idea how to remove it or change my code to get around the problem. Here’s a link to the blog post https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/29791-2019-review-of-nature-at-southwest-nature-preserve. Not sure if you can see the code from here, but you can see how ugly it is! Below is an excerpt from the code.

<a href="/observations/19456335">First observation of 2019:  made by Lynn Healy (common buckeye (Junonia coenia)) on January 5.</a>
<a href="/observations/37081549"> Last observation of 2019: made by Jim Frisinger (Hygroscopic Earthstar (Astraeus hygrometricus)) on December 29.</a>
<table width=50%><tr><th>Top Observers during 2019:</th></tr>
<tr><th>Rank</th><th>iNaturalist ID</th><th>Name</th><th># Observations</th><th># Species</th></tr>
<tr><td>1</td><td>Brentano</td><td>Brent Franklin</td><td>591</td><td>229</td></tr>
<tr><td>2</td><td>Bob777</td><td>Bob O’Kennon</td><td>	251</td><td>161</td></tr>
<tr><td>3</td><td>Joshmols</td><td>Jim Frisinger</td><td>204</td><td>160</td></tr>
<tr><td>4</td><td>Charley</td><td>Charley Amos</td><td>137</td><td>92</td></tr>
<tr><td>5</td><td>Pynklynx</td><td>	</td><td>133</td><td>59</td></tr>
<tr><td>6</td><td>Postoak</td><td>Jan Miller</td><td>	131</td><td>76</td></tr>
</table>
1 Like

I don’t think it likes the width parameter. I have struck this before on a journal post where I was trying to use tables for layout, and couldn’t get it to work. Would be interesting to see if anyone has been able to solve this!

1 Like

Yes, I had the big space problem too! It is very easy to fix, though not intuitive ;-)

At the bottom of the post text area is
Formatting
o Simple o None

Simple is the default, but you have to choose None. Ta dah! BUT, bear in mind that if you do this, you have to put in ALL html tags including < p > (paragraph) tags etc.

2 Likes

YAY! It needs a little cleanup, but it’s soooo much better looking! Thank you!

2 Likes

Still cannot make it scroll, how did you manage?

1 Like

I’m honestly not sure. I thought maybe it had to be over at the side of the screen, but that’s not it, I can get it to work in the middle too. It mostly just doesn’t work and then once in a while it does. Sorry!

1 Like