Using ecosystem mapping to aid in plant ID

A trick I have used extensively in the past while undertaking plant ID surveys might also be useful to iNatters looking for clues as to what an unknown plant might be in a natural area.
I am talking about ecosystem mapping layers which provide a description of what vegetation can be expected in natural areas where you might be.
I found it especially good for identifying native grasses which I admit can be a struggle for me. Having a list of possible contenders at a particular site is a good start point.
The system I mainly use is the one specific to my home state, Queensland Australia. I have provided links and basic instructions below that anyone can use to access this database free of charge.
The problem with these types of information systems is that you have to know where to find them and how access them. This is often complex and not always presented in a logical order.
I know that the US and Canada have extensive ecosystem mapping layers at both state and federal levels, and I am sure that many other parts of the world also have similar systems.
I invite any of you out there who has the knowledge of how to use these systems to post some links and instructions as a service to fellow iNatters.

Accessing Qld Regional Ecosystem Mapping and RE descriptions

This is a Google Earth based system.
https://qldglobe.information.qld.gov.au/
Once you open the program select “Search” to indicate the area your are interested in You can use street address, towns, co-ordinates and some other criteria to indicate location.
To find the ecosystem description at that spot, select “Layers” from the column on the left then “Add Layers”
Go to,
Biota (Flora & Fauna)>Regional ecosystem mapping>Regional ecosystem (RE) mapping
This will bring up a map of various colours. Also the map will show regional ecosystem types by a three number code e.g 11.3.3 sometimes more than one regional ecosystem might be be possible at a location and both will be shown e.g 11.3.3/11.4.9. You should be able to work from your field observations which one you are in.
To access the Regional Ecosystem descriptions, go to this site;

https://apps.des.qld.gov.au/regional-ecosystems/list/

Use the search function on the right to type in the Regional Ecosystem Code at the location you are interested in to bring up a species list and other information.

1 Like

looks like the underlying platform is ArcGIS, not Google.

are you just looking for other examples of ecosystem / ecoregion maps and data sources?

you’re not actually overlaying observations on top of your Queensland ecosystem map, right?

That’s correct Pisum. I was inviting people to share knowledge, if they know of publicly available GIS sites that allow you to access ecosystem, forest type mapping that would allow someone to obtain a list of species they could reasonably expect at a site.
I am not a GIS expert, so I will stand corrected that Qld Globe is not a Google Earth system.
As for laying observations on to the Queensland Regional Ecosystem Map, correct, that map is not used for individual records of species. There is another layer on Qld Globe that records those, although I don’t think private individuals can update the mapping with their own data.
There is also another system, The Atlas of Living Australia https://www.ala.org.au/
which records locations for the observations of individual organisms. Apparently all iNaturalist observations are uploaded to ALA, often this will include the photos you took for that observation. I imagine other countries have similar programs.

You can download the shapefiles for the Queensland Regional Ecosystems and use them in your own GIS and overlay observations that way if desired

1 Like

iNat has location based checklists.
And seen Nearby can be used, but thoughtfully.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.