Using nature to take stock

And now we are in the 4-6 hours. Hoping it was straight forward, and done.

3 Likes

I am through and very woozy but wanted to let you know. I chose the same song for anesthesia but fell under before it queues. But now I am hearing it

12 Likes

Iā€™m so pleased to see you are so engaged already after your surgery. I am sending thoughts :pray: for an easy recovery and hope you will be resting comfortably in your garden soon. Be well, Lucy.

5 Likes

Good luck, and remember nature is always there.

2 Likes

Being outside is so important to my health, and I feel the absence when I canā€™t get out for a while.

I hope you have a lovely flower or plant near you to enjoy. Maybe with a magnifying glass. And I hope youā€™re outdoors soon, even for a minute.

Iā€™ll be thinking of you!

Patti

2 Likes

Because our sun is quite strong, we have a special type of glass in our windows which lets in ambient light but not direct light, so I cannot see into the garden without actually opening a window. This week temperatures are in excess of 40 Celsius every day so the windows will likely stay closed.

My husband brings me flowers every week from the mercado, whatever he thinks is pretty, and these sit in a window sill just behind him. This week were some lilies, white and orange, the orange now fading and both now dropping petals all over the floor but still open wide and leaves verdant.

My sons gave me a lovely pot for dĆ­a de la madre and a few days later walking by the park closest to us I saw a plant sale so asked what plant would do well indoors in low light and safe for dogs. I have no idea what it is but it is pretty and was 30 pesos and I think it looks well in the pot.

A friend made me a cactus which is funny and brings me joy and requires no maintenance.

Yesterday after my anesthesia wore off completely I hurt quite badly (and in weird places, like an extremely sore throat from intubation) but today I feel a little stronger. It is supposed to rain today but tomorrow my husband and older son are thinking to put a chair either on the front patio (boo) or in the garden (preferred) for me for a few minutes!

12 Likes

Hello, Lucy.

I am so sorry to hear that you are so seriously unwell and it is preventing you from being in your garden. I am a bit embarrassed to note that your illness has been a benefit to me - No one has ever spoken to me so poetically about treehoppers! Nonetheless, I hope that your recovery is as speedy as possible.

2 Likes

Hi Lucy, hope youā€™re recovering well post op. It might be a good time to catch up on unedited photos (if you have any), learn more about the nature in your garden using iNat/Wiki or ask your husband to take some photos of insects or flowers in your garden (or locally) that you can then identify, just a few suggestions to help you keep busy while youā€™re recovering. Get well soon.

2 Likes

I think it is a variegated cultivar of Ficus benjamina.

2 Likes

I have been outside! Not for long, as we are under a heat wave and the state where we live is over 40 for at least the next ten days. I literally took four steps into the garden which allowed me to stay in the part of the garden that is shady in the morning because of the construction and the height of the plants.

Since last I saw it the garden has become full with butterflies. They were too high to attempt an observation and I just was smiling and happy to see them fluttering around, but I have one of a wasp and one of another butterfly I will put in in a minute.

I am setting a new goal now that I have been able to be up and a smidge out to make one observation a day, which is so small maybe pathetic but perhaps reasonable for now.

14 Likes

That smidge will make all the difference to you!

2 Likes

Dear Lucy, I am glad to hear the the worst is (hopefully) over!
One observation a day is not pathetic - itā€™s called a streak! ;-) An achievement that even a lot of healthy people canā€™t accomplish.
I bet it will help you recover.

2 Likes

One observation a day is a fine goal! And today you went four steps and captured images for two posts! So happy to hear you got outside so soon!

4 Likes

This is great news!

1 Like

Congratulations for getting out to your garden and seeing the butterflies and even taking a couple of photos!

I remember being exhausted by what felt like a major expedition to a grocery store less than 200 m away to pick up a couple of essential items about a week after having gallbladder surgery. And yet ā€“ these small actions are so important for regaining a sense of oneself and oneā€™s own autonomy after such an experience. Those four steps into your garden (at temperatures of over 40Ā°C no less!) donā€™t sound minor to me at all: you went somewhere and had a change of scene and did something that was important to you. One such undertaking per day is a very good goal to start with.

Try to be patient with yourself. Weā€™re all here sending our thoughts and strength and Iā€™m sure your garden inhabitants are glad to have you back, too, though they may not show it.

4 Likes

Lucy, it may seem small to you, but it is not pathetic. You are already doing more than I could manage after my hospitalizations last year, and I didnā€™t even have to have surgery.

You take your recovery at the pace that seems best to you, and we will be here to support you. (And on the days when you feel like youā€™re taking a step or two back, weā€™ll still be here to support you.)

3 Likes

I have walked thru that with my sister at Kirstenbosch. Think of a great amphitheatre sweeping up to the top of Castle Rock leading to Table Mountain.
First week we walked ā€¦ from the entrance gate ā€¦ to the very first bench. (We remember each time we whizz past That First Bench)
Weeks later slowly and patiently, a bench, or two, higher?
Week by week till we made it up to the higher Rycroft gate.
And eventually up to the contour path along the edge between horticulture and natural fynbos!

Smidge on, Lucy! Kirstenbosch contour path for inspiration.

3 Likes

Lucy Iā€™m so happy that you have been well enough to venture outside! Lovely to be out with your butterflies. :butterfly:

Hope you arenā€™t suffering too much from the heat: 40+ really is excessive. When it is over 25 here in Nova Scotia I have to go indoors, fortunately my house is cool.

Best wishes to you!

1 Like

I see my doctor again Saturday to review things. I will also have another procedure that day but a very minor one that should be the final one for now. I should be considerably more comfortable afterward. Perhaps not immediately but a day or two later, maybe.

40 is pretty typical @quiltdyer but normally there are afternoon showers that cool it down and make the evenings quite pleasant. These have not happened this yearā€¦ until today! I have been venturing out just early in the morning only a little and very briefly. I get stupidly excited to see familiar garden residents. :)

As for me, I feel myself atrophied, body and mind. (I always struggle to follow some of the discussions here but now it is bananas.) Hopefully next week I will begin to feel more myself.

9 Likes

This is wonderful to hear. Wishing you smooth sailing for the rest of your recovery.

2 Likes