Verb for searching for dragonflies and damselflies?

We have birding for birds, herping for reptiles and amphibians, mothing for moths… What do you call it when you look for dragonflies and damselflies? Oding? Dragonflying? Something else?

3 Likes

I propose “dragonhunting”.

If you pursue a Hagenius brevistylus as it forages, you are dragonhunting a dragonhunter that is itself dragonhunting

12 Likes

in the context of iNaturalist, i think odonatting would be better

8 Likes

Dramseling!

1 Like

I think the term for hunting dragons and damsels is either questing or knighting.

But seriously, odonating sounds correct.

10 Likes

Odonating sounds good to me

2 Likes

I am seeing quite a few Google hits for “odonating”, and several in agreement here, so that sounds good to me!

Haha, I like it!

I have totally called it “dragonhunting” before for fun :)

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

2 Likes

My friend has definitely used “oding” before, but I don’t know if it’s widespread

3 Likes

Given the widespread use of a net while doing it, I’d propose swinging. Or is that taken already :wink:

2 Likes

Whatever it’s called, if you sing while you’re doing it, you’re odeling. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Ooh, how about “OdiNatting”? A combination of “odonatting” and “iNatting” for when you’re searching for dragonflies and damselflies to document for iNat!

1 Like

when i read this aloud in my mind, i imagine someone looking for dragonflies falling into a pond and drowning or getting pulled under by an alligator

this must be correct, but in regarding what it sounds like:
bob: what are you doing today?
jane: odonating.
bob: donating what?

3 Likes

I read “OdiNatting” as making observations at an international cricket match!.. but at a more respectable pace than during a test match :)

2 Likes

:laughing:

Awesome use of the language – you win the internet today!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.