What animals have injured/stung/bitten you?

Ha, nice question! Most in my childhood I don’t remember, but mice, shrews and anything small that I caught. When I was 11 I was on holiday with my parents in Tanzania and fed rock hyraxes, which were living on the dump behind the hotel. It nibbled the carrot and then my finger! Then I thought, it would be a cool idea to “collect” animal bites ( I had always liked collecting), but gave up that idea, when I realised for a collection it should leave a scar.
When I was finishing school (so, old enough to know) we kept Vipera ammodytes and had 7 young ones. One day at feeding time two of the babies bit the same mouse and I pulled one at the tail. It didn’t like being deprived of its food… I had to postpone the writing of my final exams and couldn’t go with my class to Paris.
Later at university I was working at a stone marten project, and one bit me in the lip, because he was jealous that I fed his wife a piece of chocolate. That did leave a scar.
A few years ago I parted some high reeds and got stung varous times on both hands because I hadn’t seen the nest of paper wasps. The hands were so swollen, that I couldn’t bend the fingers for two days. Those were the most memorable ones.

3 Likes

*I mouse bit me in my sleep when I was a young child.
*Honeybees
*Unknown arachnids (usually rolled over onto them whilst sleeping). Note: I also had one crawl in my ear whilst I was sleeping. I woke up to a scratching noise in my ear and could not get it to come out. Bought some saline to irrigate my ear, and a tiny spider crawled out!
*Trombiculid mites (chiggers) really love me and eat me up every spring/summer.
*I’ve been swarmed by Vespula flavopilosa (was one of the most painful experiences of my life and I was sick/running a fever for over a week after).
*Stung by random Vespula maculifrons
*Several Polistes sp. stings
*a feral cat clawed my lip when I was a teen
*Swarmed by fire ants
*Lady beetles
*Lice
*midges and mosquitoes

3 Likes

Besides too many insects to name, one bird comes to mind. I was tailed by a ruffed grouse for weeks. I poked it with my finger just to see how it would react. It poked me back and nailed my finger with its beak. Drew a tiny bit of blood. I’ve gotten off easy. I’ve had to shoo off fox and black bears who were within feet of me, and I’ve had to back away from a growling pine marten. I’ve had to go the long way around my drive once due to a black bear bluff charge. Any of those could have turned into bites or swats if the situation had been more of a surprise. Oh, an injured painted turtle scratched and tried to bite me. Named it Feisty. It was nicer when I got to release it back into the wild : )

4 Likes

Quite a few of those listed by others. I volunteer with Colorado Parks and Wildlife transporting injured or orphaned birds and animals to rehabilitation facilities and had bites or talon cuts from racoons, opossum, Great horned owls, Cooper’s hawks, and one Ferruginous hawk. Deer ticks, lone star ticks, black flies, bald faced hornets, and scorpions. Also I was bitten by a juvenile Honey Badger at a rehab center in South Africa–that was not fun.

3 Likes

I got bitten/stung/injured by:

• Bees

• Wasps

• Ants

• Many other insects

• Leeches(a lot of them in many parts of my body). I was recently bitten by one a few days ago(yet to put them in inat).

In Plants,

• Nettles(Some years ago we would get rubbed and also rub these leaves on others during quarrels as kids and smaller kids would be asked to eat these leaves by elder ones and they would eat other similar looking leaves to insist us on eating it. It mostly would touch on our lips, face etc and it is very irritating)

• Bamboo leaves(They are sharp and when I was a kid, larger kids would challenge us to do that and will do so)

• Pandanus kaida(Here also we were challenged to touch the spines and move our hands through them. They would do that in the direction of the thorn and we would mostly get injured if we move in the other direction)

• Many other plants like mimosa, etc

2 Likes

older sister, a particularly vicious species, sometimes.

9 Likes

this was an aquarium specimen. it was a large colony on a very brittle piece of rock. I wanted to break it into a few smaller colonies. I was feeling lazy and stupid, so I just dropped the rock from a few feet up onto a hard surface. naturally, a tiny droplet of water/mucus bounced straight up into my unprotected eyeball. my eye closed up immediately and I had a nasty case of pink eye for several days. fortunately, it was Z. sansibaricus, which seems to not contain palytoxin. had it been something like P. toxica, I would have had a lot more trouble on my hands/eyes.

4 Likes

a tick that crawled under my shirt when I hiking in the east bay hills south of Oakland, Ca. It was quite well embedded just above my belly button by the time I drove home and discovered it. I have a photo* that. YUCK!

The advice nurse tried to talk me through removing it with tweezers over the phone, but I broke off the head (or something). She sent me to urgent care where I got a “doctor” who spent 10 minutes reading a NIH (government) website for what to do about embedded ticks (in my presence!). He finally said the advice was to do nothing and let it be absorbed by my body. YUCKYUCKYUCK! It took well over a month :persevere:! I still have the mark; it’s like a tiny extra belly button.

*I had considered posting the pic of the embedded tick as a observation, but I think it would gross people out too much. It certainly grosses me out.

2 Likes

That is really weird! Was it a young doctor with no experience on ticks? Their heads are often broke from the body if tick is not going out by theselves (you need to use oil or something like that to force it to go loose to breathe as people say), I went to hospital with the same problem and it took a doc like a couple of seconds to get it off and it was in a middle of nowhere. You should post it, it’s a good observation!

2 Likes

I got bitten by a cat once. Down by my wrist (I was trying to get it back to its owners). My whole forearm swelled up, but it didn’t extend, so I did not go to the hospital. When I told this to a vet nurse, she said that she would rather be bitten by a dog than a cat.

3 Likes

Also I forgot about fishes

• Climbing perch (It bit me when I put my hand into the mouth of a large one)

• Asian stinging catfish (I am frequently stung by its sting if I hold them wrongly. It should be hold strongly by the head as they are very slippery. In fact in fish markets they cut off its sting to avoid getting stung. And the sting is very painful.)

3 Likes

I’ve rescued over 160 western honey bees from my pool over the past year, along with some sweat bees, and from 7 stings I’ve been developing better systems for picking them up. I’ve learned the following:

• Don’t pickup bees floating on their backs from below.
  • Generally avoid picking up sweat bees barehanded, they’re more prone to stinging.
  • If you nudge a western honey bee’s face, they’ll climb on whatever’s in front of them. Good strategy for safely getting them to crawl off.
  • Generally, if you want to avoid this trouble, just pick them up with an object instead of your bare hand.
    I’ve also painfully learned that, while bees can unscrew themselves if they sting you, they don’t necessarily know how, and letting them try involves them pumping more toxins into you for 5+ minutes.

Also got bit by a male dobsonfly, which was fun. Got bit by one of the unidentified spiders I’ve observed in the house too, that one surprisingly hurt a lot. Thankfully haven’t gotten attacked by the more dangerous/painfulc species I’ve gotten too close to, including opossums and coyotes.

5 Likes

Among the worst;

Giant water bug - horribly painful
Water backswimmer or boatmen (can’t remember)
Wolf spider
Robber fly
Northern Pike
Musky

I was bit by an unknown spider in my sleep in October a bit too close to the baby makin’ parts and that didn’t clear up until mid December. It totally had some venom whatever it was.

Muskrat. Although it didn’t touch me, I wouldn’t have a face today if it had of.

• edit. Sorry that was supposed to be a generic response to the topic and not to anybody in particular.*
3 Likes

Not that many! A (captive) dog, a few (captive) rats, a cat or two, yellowjackets (Vespula spp.), black flies (I hate these, they hurt so bad and I get so itchy) and many, many lone star ticks, deer ticks, and dog ticks.

2 Likes

I am an older sister. I agree.

7 Likes

In my youth, I worked at an environmental education center. In the course of giving talks to schoolchildren, I was bitten by diamondback terrapin, loggerhead musk turtle, gray rat snake, and pinched by both sexes of fiddler crabs.

3 Likes

When i was young, a German shorthair (named Fauna) bit me on my upper lip, leaving a scar, then when about 11 a German shepherd bit me on the leg when i was running to first base while playing baseball. Am now rethinking that vote i made for dogs being the best pet. But beyond that, not a whole lot - of known things, gopher snakes, alligator lizards, an injured raven that also grabbed my upper lip, but left no scar, and a number of ticks, including one that was bullseyed right into my belly button.

3 Likes

cat, dog, mouse, horse, rabbit, emu, ostrich, duck, rooster, pig, parrots, Pygmy Marmoset.

Mosquitos, ants, horseflies, Wasps, no-see-ums, hornet, bees (a variety), garter snake.

3 Likes

Were they serious pecks or just ‘love bites’?
I ask because my grandma’s pet emu tends to peck gently at anything shiny. Gets annoying …

1 Like

I found the emu’s bills to be soft like a duck bill, so the pecks they gave me never hurt.

1 Like