This is not an ID request for an observation, but a general question about my experiences with the outdoors, so I think it fits here
Over a period of 1-4 years I was stung in the foot 3 times by something very painful while walking barefoot in my lawn (inconsistently mowed yard at 1500 ft elevation, southern adirondacks, NY state), and as someone whose main taxa of interest are ants, bees, and wasps, I’m surprised that I still have no clue what this was
The first time it left a stinger in me, and there was a lot of clover in the yard with honeybees (Apis mellifera) drinking from it, so I assumed it was a honeybee, but I don’t think there was clover where I stepped, and there was no buzzing under my foot.
The second and third time no venom sac was left in my foot, but one of the times there may have been a tiny splinter as if the stinger tip broke off
The sensation was similar all 3 times, but especially the last 2, as they were in the same part of the foot
The pain of these stings blows Vespula maculifrons (eastern yellowjacket) and Myrmica fracticornis (an obscure ant) out of the water, it was more painful than Polistes fuscatus (dark paper wasp), and the pain lasts a lot longer than this thing that stung my friend https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/177007623
They all happened in the same area of the yard, and I have seen velvet ants there a few times, so maybe one of these did it?
I’m wondering if anyone else has any insight into why this happened in a certain part of my yard and what could do it? I’m not trying to get rid of these, I haven’t been stung in years, I’m just curious what insect is so unusually painful since I’m interested in wasps and similar insects