What are the ugliest insects in your area?

In the economic heart of my country, there lives a beasty that most people will need psychotherapy after encountering: https://theconversation.com/scary-king-cricket-is-a-beautiful-example-of-evolution-at-its-best-43674

I’m willing to bet they modelled the Prawns in District 9 after these things :rofl:

2 Likes

There’s no harm in sharing a giggle about creatures that make us quiver or feel freaked out, so long as you don’t use this as fuel to embark on a campaign of extermination

No reasonable person should/ would

2 Likes

If only there were more reasonable people in the world.

4 Likes

And nooo, I’m not one of those at all in fact.

1 Like

Ooooh I do remember, it was the ‘‘what animals make you cringe’’ thread, right?

1 Like

Yes, it was, you can never guess which responces you will see here.)

2 Likes

They’re all products of evolution with long histories on our planet so you could argue that makes them all beautiful in form and function, even if not aesthetically pleasing to the eye from the narrow human perspective.

9 Likes

Faint-spotted palthis moth, what are you doing. That…that thing sticking from your head. Is that some kind of fresh funky Gen-Z hairstyle? Are you doing that thing in cartoons where they’re about to kiss someone and their puckering lips grow very long? Please tell me you don’t use it for mating purposes, because even if they didn’t starve to death a week after emerging, every lady moth would rather do that than touch you.

Look at this Ceuthophilus. Can’t even get Research Grade. Probably on account of that garish color scheme and those thunder-thighs. Can you even fit through doorways with those muttons? If you were my conscience, I’d go to therapy to get you expunged. I’ll CBT your sorry butt to next year, you weta-wannabe.

It’s easy to just look at someone and say “you look like crap,” but you literally look like crap, soybean looper moth. Sure you kinda resemble the little nuggets of delight squirrels leave on my fenceposts, and sure that’s a defense measure, but why can’t you be like your leafhopper friends and resemble something a bit more aesthetically pleasing? Are you an artist practicing neo-uglism or whatever trendy nonsense is plaguing the art world today? If there’s one thing I hate more than ugly insects, it’s pretentious insects. Get swatted.

Oh God. Oh Jesus no. Adolescent pictures are often unkind in retrospect, but you literally look like an alien, spring fishfly. You look like you’re about to burrow into my skin and then have twelve others like you pop out. And don’t give me that “ugly duckling” nonsense - it was a hot spell at the end of January when I took this picture, so it’s very likely you didn’t survive the subsequent cold to see your “true adult self” come out. Poor planning.

You got a little something on your lip, eastern tawny-horned spider wasp. Oh wait…that’s just you? Daaaaang! Every heard of a razor? Shaving cream? Lookin’ like you’re about to leave a damsel tied up on the train tracks with that 'stache. Ladies enjoy a little tickle when they lean in for a kiss, but they don’t want to choke on that thing. Get some help.

I have never seen a more goofy-looking animal, broad-tipped conehead. Do I even have to try? The word “conehead” is in your name, for God’s sake! But whatever, as long as I’m here: Your body literally looks like a dunce cap and your head is weighed down from all the stupid. I bet if you had a voice you’d sound just like Hugh Neutron, minus the charisma. Chin up, buddy…if you can manage it, that is!

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly

1 Like

Not specifically on this platform. I was referring to the general theory that controversy sells and was wondering if that was why such thread even got traction here too.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, controversial topics to tend to attract more attention here too. But they tend to occur less than those type of topics within the political sphere. I actually stopped reading comments on articles about bicycles in urban areas. A thousand posts of the same arguments in the never ending war between riders and motorists is grim reading!

Cilix glaucata also looks like poo, of a bird. Complete with little wet-looking streaks.

That doesn’t look ugly to me.
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an “ugly” bug in my area. I have a mild fear of cockroaches that stems from childhood that I’m working through, but once I look at their beautiful eyes I can’t say that even they are ugly. Even maggots I think are kinda cute.

Bugs are cute!

7 Likes

I was sure I wasn’t the only one!!! To me they are also kind of cute.

2 Likes

If I may ramble for a moment, I actually like the Crambidae, though maybe I’m a bit biased because of sentimentality. When I first bought an attachable macro lens for my phone, my first mission was to finally figure out what those little fluttery things were in my backyard that I could never quite get a close enough look at to make sense of. The first one I found ended up being a Double-banded Grass-Veneer. I wasn’t expecting it to have such intricate patterns or such an interesting face and I was elated. That experience really helped to awaken my curiosity about micro-organisms, and the more I use iNat the more I only feel encouraged to let nothing go overlooked or unappreciated. I have a lot to thank that little guy for.

7 Likes

same!! when first got my camera with nice macro i immediately went for the little things in the grass and was absolutely amazed at the diversity of tiny moths at my feet, almost all crambidae. they really opened me up to observing all the little things i might look over and made me love insects so much more. crambidae helped make me who i am

3 Likes

I have immense disdain for the cat flea. The dinosaur-esque skull head is pretty rad, though…

2 Likes

Mixed feelings about Phloeodes diabolicus (Diabolical Ironclad Beetle) because of its extremely epic common name, nearly uncrushable shell, and that it plays possum as a defense mechanism… but looking at it makes me think that it was put together using leftover cigarrette-butt ashes.

3 Likes

Wait that looks pretty cool actually lol

3 Likes

I feel like that sums up every bug posted on here :melting_face:

1 Like